1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Brake Noise and break pads

I recently purchased a used 2011 Raleigh Talus 4.0.

My rear wheel/disc makes a squeaking or moaning type sound. My brake handle that goes to my rear brake is loose and it takes a lot of squeezing to engage the rear brake.

I had a friend tell me the noise is probably because I need new brake pads. Is this what's making the noise? Will any 72mm pads work for a replacement( Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc, 160mm Rotors). And will this fix the amount of movement it takes to engage the rear brake.

Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    what type of brakes do you have?
    take the pads out and look at them, are they used up?
    pictures would help us help you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd start by tuning them. The Novela may have a barrel adjuster - I forget. It has a big set screw on the inboard side. And your brake lever should have a barrel adjuster. Sight through the brake caliper, along the rotor. Hold a piece of white paper on the other side if it helps. You can use the barrel adjuster and set screw to adjust the inboard and outboard brake pads, respectively. You want the pads as close as possible without rubbing.

If the brake pads aren't worn out but you need to readjust the position of your caliper, find the instructions for the SRAM/Avid BB7 on their web site - they're pretty universal to mechanical disc brakes.

If your rotor's warped, sorry, they do that. You can fix it if you like but IME it's a waste of time unless it's really bad.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx