1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Brake lever position

Hey guys recently ive been trying to hit the brakes with just my index finger. I always used index and middle with my v-brakes, but now with my new bike and disc brakes it seems like just the index would do fine.

It seems like I always go back to 2 fingers on the lever, like I dont get enough leveage with 1. Would sliding the levers in(twoards the center of the bike) more so my index finger reaches the very end of the lever a good solution to this problem? or do i need to just get used to one finger.

mtbr member
    That would probably work. Most brake levers are not designed to fit snuggly against the grip. Try moving it out (like you said) about 1/2" for starters. The increased leverage should give you the 1 finger feel you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyway, you need to get used to one finger braking. I don't think moving the levers towards stem would be helpful. Possibly you will get more power, but much less modulation, that is, fine control over braking . That is, the brakes would start working on/off. You may need to adjust the levers' reach, so that you can conveniently put the index fingers onto the levers. I have cable operated HMX-2(not considered upmarket), ride pretty tough single track and never had any need to use more than one finger for braking. If you have mechanical disc brakes, it would be a good idea to adjust pads often(takes couple of minutes every time). If there is too much clearance between pads and rotor, brake levers are loose and you lose both power and modulation.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just use the middle finger that way I have a better grip on the bars, I can still shift while braking, and it almost seems like that what my XTR shifters were designed for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ive have tried the middle finger only and it does not seem to work for me. I might practice this though.

I already have the levers about a 1/2 inch off the grips twoards the stem. I am worried if I move it farther in my thumb wont reach the shifters