1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

brake or headset?

When i front brake i feel the headset loose when i check it while not riding seems ok unless i seat on the top tube and push hard while front braking. could it be the front v brake the problem or the 4 year old aheadset? Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The easist way to check the headset is to turn the front wheel to the side ,grab the front brake and rock the bike back and forth while holding the the bottom headset bearing cup. V-brakes can shutter ,clean off the rim with some light sanding or steel wool. Have you checked the wheel bearing/quick release?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    When i turn the wheel on the side, its fine. only when i am on the bike and front brake it does it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    When i turn the wheel on the side, its fine. only when i am on the bike and front brake it does it
    If you have the front wheel/bars rotated 90 deg from straight, and you rock the frame if you feel anything that is the headset.

If you are only feeling the "clunking" when riding then it is probably not the headset.

'Tis but a scratch
    I would just adjust the headset to eliminate it as the cause. There are several you tube videos that will show you how to check it and adjust it. Its quite easy so its worth the 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    If you have the front wheel/bars rotated 90 deg from straight, and you rock the frame if you feel anything that is the headset.

If you are only feeling the "clunking" when riding then it is probably not the headset.
    I tried it, turned the wheel 90 degrees, rocked it hard, it seems fine, nothing loose. When the wheel is straight and use the same power you can feel something loose. Its not the skewer and the wheel is quite new. Thx

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Could also be loose front brake rotor. Check 'em....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What kind of fork is on the bike? If the bushing are worn there could be enough play that you could feel a knock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    its a carbon rigid fork

'Tis but a scratch
    A couple of other things to check:
    1) Make sure your QR skewer is nice and tight.
    2) Check whether you have play in your front hub. To do that you can stand on the side of the front wheel, grab the top of it and try to push back and forth (toward/away from yourself). If that has play you likely need to service the hub.

Either of these items could be amplified when braking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Brakes can definitely make it feel as if the headset is loose, specially V-brakes that will have a little play in them. If you've made sure nothing is loose and it feels fine when riding, it's likely nothing to worry about.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My bike with v-brakes shakes when the rim surface gets dirty. I just scrub the rims real good with 91% rubbing alcohol.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a lot of carbon forks that shudder like mad under heavy braking. Is this a new problem? New fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do you mean take out the wheel and press/push it front/back againts its sides? i have a bolt axle on it i will try a qr. Thx for the info

mtbr member
    Just hold bike upright with wheel mounted. use other hand to grab the tire and try to move it from side to side and see if there is any perceptible bearing play at the hub. It should be solid feeling side to side, and roll easily obviously. Your brake pads could be grabby. If you hold brakes tight when standing mounting the bike, see if pushing forward and back produces any wiggle in the stem/upper headset. You can use spare hand to feel for movement its not always easy to see it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great tips it could be the pads. Didnt think about that