1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: brake advice

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

brake advice

So I just got my bike and rode it on trails for the first time and I realized my bike needs a tune up real bad. I love the feeling of doing stuff like that my self but I need some help choosing new pads and a new rotor. I have avid elixir cr brakes on the front,160mm. And tektro v brakes on the rear. I live in the high desert of lovely southern idaho . so it is mostly dry and dusty. Just wondering about what would be good options? I ride a trek fuel 90 BTW.

mtbr member
    Go XT. At least 180 on the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A $70 SLX brake on the front from Bluesky with icetech pads is an easy bolt-on. The same ceramic 21mm piston as XT and XTR. This will give plenty of power with your present rotor(clean it and bed in the pads) or get a HS1 off ebay. You'll have very good modulation control. No noise.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter
    2012 Avid SRAM HS1 Disc Brake Rotor 160mm 2pcs | eBay

mtbr member
    Do you want new front brakes or do you just need new pads? Is your rotor warped? Do you want to go to the expense of replacing the V brakes in the back with discs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just looking for new pads and a rotor for the front. I cannot change to rear disc brakes on the rear due to no mounts. I only have front disc brakes cause I upgraded the fork. I would need a different frame. Just looking for a good rotor and good pads all around. Yes my rotor is starting to warp.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Rotors warp. Is it actually causing a problem? You can true them if you really want to. For myself, as long as my brakes are performing well, the rest is details.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It is starting to rub one of the pads when it goes around and they work great I just want them to perform better

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Its all in the hope of better performance

Fat-tired Roadie
    My much less fancy Elixirs modulate well and have the power to lock up my rear wheel or throw me over the bars. So you're going to have to come up with something more specific, because it's hard for me to imagine what "better" might mean.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomy169 View Post
    I cannot change to rear disc brakes on the rear due to no mounts.
    You probably can.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/what-avid-adapter-i-need-my-trek-fuel-853926.html

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    As noted above, rotors can be trued/straightened. I'm sure there are tons of how-to videos. You can use an adjustable wrench or buy a tool just for it. If there are no deep grooves in the rotors, I would just true them.

I've had those same brakes, and replaced the pads with more Avids. I've got some Jagwire pads on other brakes.

And since they're Avid, but might just be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now