1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Boxers or briefs

Did a thread search, didn't come up with much.

So when I take a short ride around the neighborhood on my mountain bike, the standard Specialized seat is not very comfortable. The reason is, my boys are free to roam, and getting one caught between your thigh and the seat does not feel good. I ride motocross and street bikes and have the same problem.

So my questions is, what steps do others take to protect and make the boys comfortable? Maybe some sort of padded under armor? Or something along those lines? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Padded riding shorts...

mtbr member
    I also wear padded bike shorts or boxer briefs if it is just a short ride.

mtbr member
    The padded shorts will save your life

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    The seat on my 09 Rockhopper is uber comfy to me. I know everyone is a bit different so YMMV. I am comfy in boxer briefs ( the best of both worlds ) and I don't have to worry about the boys wandering too far or chaffing with riding shorts or liners. Find a saddle that you're comfy on first, then decide if you still need some padding between you and the bike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i've ridden carbon saddles comfortably, it's not about how much padding, it's about how it's adjusted to you. boxer briefs ride up on me anyway... so i wear nice padded BG enduro shorts... real comfy! otherwise for long rides it's a difficult choice, be free but have them ride up, or be bunched up without them riding up. i perfer the first, can't stand being bunched up...

responsible zombie owner
    [double post]

responsible zombie owner
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    it's not about how much padding, it's about how it's adjusted to you....
    +1. A saddle's comfort depends heavily on the tilt angle and its fore/aft adjustment relative to how you like to sit on the bike. A well-adjusted saddle that fits your body shape will be comfortable without padded shorts.

That said, padded lycra shorts worn wihtout underwear (but maybe with baggy shorts over them, consider those around you) offer better moisture wicking, are more hygienic, and allow you to ride without worrying about trapping your plums.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I rock a pair of under armor compression shorts for MTN and the bike shorts for road
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Perhaps it is odd, but I have never had the enjoyment of getting my junk stuck between my saddle and my leg. Sounds like perhaps you should not bow your legs out so much, keep your legs straight and you should have issues. I also ride with padded briefs, but only on the trail around town you shouldn't need padded anything except a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sugoi knicks with cheap cargo shorts over the top. All the comfort of cycling knicks, with the practicality of trail shorts.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Both

You know, I like both. I like the looks of boxers and the comfort of the briefs.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    For kickin it around the neighborhood with the kids or to the party store what I'm wearing is what I'm wearing. If I change it's into cycling shorts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    regular boxerbriefs is where its at :0)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    padded shorts. (a lot of motocrossers I know wear them too.)

whatever i have on for short rides.

brandnew@it
    Jul 2009
    Funny you should post this,

i've been thinking of asking the same! I am back on a bike after many yrs and many lbs. removed from prior cycling experiences. My first short ride had me fairly discouraged. I foolishly wore boxers and the horn of the seat just wore my nuts out!

I tried again next time with some tight boxer briefs and this seemed to help alot. Anyone ever use a jock strap while riding? Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks and Good luck,
    Jon

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wear nothing at all under my bike shorts, which are usually thin nylon cargo types..

You may need to adjust your saddle. Try to nose it down slightly. And make sure your saddle to bar length is correct and not to long. To prevent you sliding forward into a less comfortable part of the seat. Of course the two bones in your ass should correspond with the padded rear of the seat. You can make this adjustment a few different ways. Slide the seat forward, change the orientation of the handlebar, or get a new stem with a shorter arm.

Another option is a new seat. Stock seats are notoriously under spec'd.

I went to a WTB Speed V, and have been quite happy with it's comfort, after replacing the rock bottom WTB base saddle that came as original equipment on my Mary SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just regular compression shorts are just dandy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bike shorts arent really padded per se.. its a chamois. its there to keep things dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    After looking after all of these posts, I am going to adjust the saddle and see if that makes a difference. After going on a 10 mile ride, it is my butt that goes numb now. I have adjusted my riding style and that has seemed to help not make my boys go as numb. I need to get padded shorts.

usually cranky
    boxer briefs for quick jaunts, riding shorts for anything extended.

usually cranky
    also i thought my wtb pure v was hell so i tried moving it forward a bit and that made all the difference in the world.

Dirt Deviant
    Pull em up and stick em in your pocket.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I just let mine bounce off the pavement as I ride through the neighborhood.
    :wq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast