1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Boulder SE advice quick!!

Hey there! I am brand new at the bike thing and looking for a good starter bike for commuting, mid-light trails with the potenial option to really get down and dirty if I like this whole thing. I have been looking and comparing for waayyyy too long and have it narrowed down to a handful that I am interested in. I have an opportunity to jump on a 2010 Giant Boulder SE with tool kit and pump for $250. It is owned by a guy that bought it, broke his ankle and he says he's never even been on it. Time is of the essence since I don't want someone else to snag it before me. Am I fool if I don't take the plunge right now? Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Meh.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...ack)&Type=bike

I don't know what your budget is, but I think it's better to skip bikes with freewheels, which is most of the ones with 7 cogs in the back.

Did you ride any of the ones you've been looking at and comparing? Which was your favorite?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My budget range is $300-350 ish. I am all about snagging a good deal though and that's part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything so far. This seems like a pretty good deal, considering my price range...

mtbr member
    Well it is a better bike than $200 will get you at Wallyworld but I am sure some would disagree.

Probably OK for easier MTB trials/unkept bike paths not so much if you "get down and dirty"
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    have you looked on bikesdirect? i don't think you can get a much better bike for the money. giant's are a lot of bike for the money. maybe he'll take $200

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the boulder okay bike been wanting more. good commuter crappy on real technical like very rooted courses. I would save money and get a better bike..

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhans
    My budget range is $300-350 ish. I am all about snagging a good deal though and that's part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything so far. This seems like a pretty good deal, considering my price range...
    A deal is only a deal if you buy something you actually want, and that actually does the thing you want it to do. $350 is a decent budget for a used bike. With some patience, you can probably get something like a Specialized Rockhopper, Giant xtc or Talon, whichever Cannondale hardtail, etc - there are a lot of trailworthy bikes that would have sold for twice that in the last five seasons or so. That's what'll stretch your dollar the most.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Talked down a little lower to $225. I've read nothing but good reviews for the most part for this beginner entry bike. Think I'll take the plunge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhans
    Talked down a little lower to $225. I've read nothing but good reviews for the most part for this beginner entry bike. Think I'll take the plunge.
    Still to much IMHO. A second hand bike has no warranty or shop support. At some point all shops have sales that are 20% to 50% off. Me the most I would pay would be half price for the bike and the extras and only then if it is in as new condition. YMMV

A small problem to get fixed at a shop might be $25 if you had brought the bike new the shop may have fixed it for free.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's got a 7-speed freewheel. Axles are cheap parts, but replacing them is going to get old and a new rear wheel is a lot more expensive.