1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Bought the wrong size?

I bought a 30 day old '13 SJ FSR EVO 29 Size Large off of CL, coming from a Yeti SB66 Size Medium. Great bike, great price, but wondering if I should be in a medium. Im thinking I'm on the cusp. Took it on a trail ride last night and I noticed my steering was all over the place. It has been a few years since i've rode consistently. Should I ride more and see if it's the bike and I getting to know each other, or should I post somewhere for a trade and see how things turn out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If u were a medium on 26 u should probably be a medium in 29... What's your height and inseam? I'm 5'9 32" and medium on Specialized 29ers fits like a glove.

If it's too big then it might u might feel too "stretched out" on it.

What you could do is drop a shorter stem on it to shorten the reach which would be a plus for handling anyways so long as u think pedaling on it is fine.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10, 32" IS. I dont "notice" to be stretched out, but that doesnt mean I'm not. Is there a "trading corner" in these forums?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would seriously try a 50mm stem on that before even thinking about trading it. That will bring the bars 40mm closer to you which is I think pretty similar to what a medium would be. And that could be all you need.

mtbr member
    I will start looking at some stems. Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was talking to a friend who recently went to a short stem/wide bars and really liked it. I've also heard about people going for a larger frame and running a shorter stem so it could possibly work out really nice. I've been thinking about such a setup for a while.

Also if the front was all over the place...fork wasn't sagging too much was it? I've had that before on my bike...

Rogue Exterminator
    I am 5'10" and both my 29ers are larges.
    One fit fine and the other I needed to put a shorter stem on to correct the problem.
    Yes, 5'10" is right on the cusp of med and lg for most bike manufacturers and it sucks.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I feel like my steering gets sloppy when I have too little weight on my front wheel. Not too long a stem, which tends to bring me more forward.

OP, how do you feel physically riding the bike? And, how long is the stem that's on it now?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I find every spring that I can barely keep my bike on the trail.
    Saddle time fixes it.