1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bought a used GT Avalanche 3.0 today

It's in pretty good condition..a few scrapes and scuffs...Looks like it spent more time in someones shed than on the trails...

The bad: I think I paid to much...140

The good: I've got a bike to ride...It fits me...and I've got something new to tinker with

It's a start....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a used GT Avalanche 3.0 today-gt1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I don't think you paid too much. You'd pay that much for a Wally World bike and wouldn't be nearly as nice. Nice find and happy riding bro.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rasct View Post
    It's in pretty good condition..a few scrapes and scuffs...Looks like it spent more time in someones shed than on the trails...

The bad: I think I paid to much...140

The good: I've got a bike to ride...It fits me...and I've got something new to tinker with

It's a start....

No way homes, i think you paid a good price for that GT...that thing is practically spotless. I've had buyers remorse before, but if I was you, I'd feel ok about this purchase. Like crclawn said, you would probably pay similar for a brand new wal-mart bike...and you know how sturdy, awesome, and lightweight those things are... Get out there and ride that thing!

Get yourself some real pedals with some metal on them, and a new saddle if the current one hurts your ass!
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That is $140 worth of good fun

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the assurances.. ..Will be hitting the trails first thing tomorrow...and definitely be doing some pedal shopping soon....:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I paid $140 for my first mountain bike which was a 03 avalanche 3.0. Fun bike they can take some good abuse, at least the frame anyways.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    bro thats a better deal than the 400 i spent on a new ironhorse maverick 3.0 (07) that im riding right now

i jelly. enjoy

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    you did good as long as it runs.. I think it's like around $500 new depending on yr (someone correct me if wrong here)

sounds like you like to play mechanic from the tinkering comment so you should be good.. start stocking up on tool and go have fun...!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    That looks like a good deal to me, enjoy!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Fat-tired Roadie
    Any bike that goes, stops, shifts and doesn't need major mechanical work is worth at least $100. Sounds like not only does that apply to your bike but it's got a nice, modern build on it. (8-speed cassette on the back, right?)

You did fine.

Some good suggestions in post #3. Tires for your trails and a stem to put the grips in the right place for you are good purchases too. No need to rush it, though - just go ride a lot and enjoy.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all the encouragement...

Back from my maiden ride..Had some other commitments so I couldn’t get in much seat time today….A nice surprise was finding I could fit the bike fully assembled into the back of my Jeep Cherokee….Given the fact I’ve been away from riding for so long…and that my last ride was an old Panasonic street bike…I headed to a local state park that has a nice tame loop around a small lake…With no pump, spare tube or tools I tried to limit my walking distance in case of a breakdown…I probably only rode 4 miles max.…but I was humping right along the whole way …

The results…

The bike: It performed beyond my expectations…then again…I really didn’t know what to expect…The shifting was precise and smooth…although I couldn’t help LOLing when shifting it…If anyone remembers hunting for the next gear on an old 10 speed can understand my chuckling…I was mostly riding on crushed rock/packed dirt…I did take a few short sorties off the beaten path onto some rougher terrain…and barely noticed the difference…The front brakes will need some adjusting…My rear end never bothered me…but I wasn’t riding long for me to really judge the seats comfort...The front suspension really never came into play….despite my efforts to ride through some pot holes…Being a small, light guy…the bike probably doesn’t even know I’m on it…The tires are wide and aggressive…and I never doubted their gripping ability….I don’t intend to do much more than trail riding…so besides a few of the upgrades mentioned...I think the bike will more than meet my current needs...

The rider:….Like I said..I’m a small 5’ 6" guy…about 140…Working as a carpenter I’m in fairly decent shape….and I’ve always been an avid hiker…I knew my short ride wasn’t gonna tire me out…I did feel a few muscles come into play that my body told me hadn’t been used in awhile…I’m going to start doing some street riding after work and try and get everything loosen up I bit…Mentally….I couldn’t be happier…While I will continue do enjoy hiking …the faster movement of biking gives me a sense of more freedom and offers another option for enjoying the great outdoors…..Got a few questions…but I’ll ask them in another thread..

One happy biker here…

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Right on!

Serenity now!
    My DH has that bike and has been riding it for several years. He has been very happy with it, put it through a lot of miles with no maintenance problems. He's just now starting to look at an upgrade. I think he paid around $450 for it at a year-end clearance sale.

Happy trails!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    you did good as long as it runs.. I think it's like around $500 new depending on yr (someone correct me if wrong here)

sounds like you like to play mechanic from the tinkering comment so you should be good.. start stocking up on tool and go have fun...!!
    Ha! That's a can of worms.
    I found the cost of tools can quickly exceed the cost of your first bike. Hell just my park tool stand was around 130 bucks. Can't live with out that stand though.

A GT was my first bike - similar to that bike actually except older. loved that thing to death.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    Ha! That's a can of worms.
    I found the cost of tools can quickly exceed the cost of your first bike. Hell just my park tool stand was around 130 bucks. Can't live with out that stand though.
    welcome to your new addiction Mtbing is almost as bad as crack.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    welcome to your new addiction Mtbing is almost as bad as crack.
    Yah My biking addiction to my friends only spells out, damn this guy needs a girl friend or something, lol. At least it's a healthy addiction, until I hit that tree.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Congrats! Enjoy