1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bought a new MTB to start with, but not sure what I have

I bought a 2001 Raleigh M80 Hardtail MTB with an Aluminum frame and front suspension for $100. Bike itself weighs in at 28 lbs and I found some 2.3 Deax DHEA folding tires and tubes to match to put on the bike. Had it tuned at the LBS and the guy offered $250-$300 if I wanted to trade it in. Sounds like a great deal but the reason I bought a $100 used bike is because I cant afford to sink much more into the sport until I try it out. That being said the bike I bought is in excellent condition and works great.

Now that you have an idea of my two days of experience with a non Wal-Mart quality bike, can anyone tell me what this bike is best suited for? XC, AM, paved only? I am mainly interested in trail riding with a little street here and there but may find some more challenging terrain if when I get better. I need the forum's collective wisdom to make sure I don't go out and over task the bike somewhere it isn't supposed to be.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Perfect for your current riding conditions. Start pedaling...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like a great bike, keep it! You are probably not getting better for the $2-300 the bike shop is offering you

mtbr member
    Ride anything but downhill courses.