1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bought a new-to-me bike yesterday

Hey guys thought I'd use this as sort of an intro for myself.

After lurking around on here for a few days I picked up a new bike yesterday. Its a 2007 Diamondback Response XE (disc brake model).

Frame is in good shape but it needed a new rear tube and majorly needs a tune up but i picked it up for only $25. Figured a pretty darned good deal for a starter bike for me.

Not my first mountain bike but the first one I'll be using for some serious trails. I have a Trek 820 back home in Washington (now living in Pittsburgh) but I just didnt think it would be worth it to ship out here.

A little bit about me... I turn 22 on Friday and I'm a manager for Cutco right now. Been working here for about 4 years. Last year I moved to Pittsburgh, PA from Vancouver, WA. Not the biggest fan of Pittsburgh so far but learning to like it by forcing myself to get out

Mainly looking to get in to mt biking as a form of exercise. Since taking a promotion at work I've been working so damn much its hard to do be motivated to go to the gym but as a kid I always loved biking so I figured this would be something good to get back into.

Not super familiar with bikes, more of a car guy myself. I have 2 cars a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and a 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo (fully built engine, STi drivetrain, coilovers all around etc).

Annd I have 3 dogs. One is a Siberian Husky who I would eventually like to learn how to bike jour with.

So yea, just wanted to say Hi and I'll post some pics of the bike once I get home.

Oh and any suggestions on good trails around Pittsburgh?

T.W.O.
    Welcome!
    Unless it's natural for your Husky to run beside you on the bike, it may takes sometime to train. I take 3 pups to to trail not at the same time but the most formally train German Shepard is not good running along with the bike, hiking is fine. The others are doing well, the little one is the best. Enjoy your ride.