1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bought new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bought new bike

Guys I dropped the hammer on a new bike. I picked up a new 2012 Cannondale trail SL 29er 4 for $500. Couldn't pass it up.

My question is in regards to the disc brakes on the front which seem like they will not really stop the bike like wheel brakes. This may be normal, as this is my first disc bike. Perhaps they need bled. I bought from an individual and not the lbs which I hated to do, but for that price....it still smelled new and had nubs on the tires.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The most realistic solution is an upgrade to SLX. $60 from Blue Sky.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake w/ Adapter
    Alternatively you can rebed your pads.
    Clean the rotors with Brake cleaner or alcohol and a scuffy pad.
    Sand the pads with some clean sandpaper.
    Make 15 near stops on a long paved downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think bleeding and rebedding would be the most realistic solution for me prior to replacement. However I'm not opposed to an upgrade next season. Thanks for the link, I'm always down with a deal!

mtbr member
    Shook. If you have a solid lever feel evenly on both levers I would ditch the bleed. Clean up the rotors and maybe scratch up the pads on a flat surface. Sometimes new stuff takes brake-in time. Lets hope that's it. Nice score.

mtbr member
    What make of disc brakes are fitted? If they are hydraulic they should work well, whatever make they are.

I cannot imagine Cannondale fitting poor quality brakes on a bike of that calibre. I would imagine they need a service if the bike has been stood idle for a long time.

Or they might just need bedding in, as already suggested. go on a couple of rides and see if they improve!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are Helix 3 from Bengal Performance. I'm thinking a service would do them good as well. So between rebedding and a possible bleeding, I bet they will be decent enough.

I would assume they are somewhat entry level after looking at other brakes, based on cost alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are actually Helix 6. I stand corrected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Todays the day!..... I hope

Rotors might also be contaminated. Check on here for solutions. Keep mind bleed kits are $25. I'd go with $60 shimano slx. Awesome deal

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I have always liked the 2012 Sl4 and did want one for some time.
    I think that disks stop better than rim brakes (and I have Elixirs), but those Cannondale brakes suck, so just look for an SLX, or even some Deore brakes.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well after a quick bleed, sanding pads, cleaning rotors and rebedding they work a lot better. Like 180 degrees difference. Thank all of you!