1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

Bought my first nice bike! Haro Escape Sport 2009, its making weird sounds, whats up

Ok, I know I'm going to the shop tomorrow, but i was hoping I'd get a little knowledge out of my problem too.

I bought my first nice bike today, my Haro Escape Sport, 2009. Love the disc brakes and the fork.. oh god its heaven on my arms and chest when going from no susp old Diamondback Outlook. I remember when I first started looking... I got in a huge fight on these boards when I was looking at the 29er bikes from BD, but in the end I couldn't even afford those... so eventually I found a nice sale and a good lbs, and I wouldnt post this at all if I didnt feel the bike was good enough to talk about, to deny the satisfaction to the guy who shall remain nameless that accused me of being a BD shill. Anyhow, back to the positive and the excitement this thing is giving me from just thinking of how its in my home, downstairs, right now!

--------------------

Ok, enough about me going gaga over my new bike.. my baby has a problem.

Whenever I pick up speed, the front disc sounds like a spinning tin can, and the back wheel makes a gazoo sound. Is this normal? is this me just breaking in the new disc brakes? .. its a very sturdy bike, a 20" frame, and I'm a 6'2", 315lb rider, (not pear shaped, refrigerator shaped) so I really put that suspension and disc brakes to work.. and I can torque those crank arms like hell on an incline.

I'm not sure what the sounds are are, but sometimes they go away and sometimes not, the gazoo sound from the back wheel stays at almost all speeds, it just gets louder the faster I go. The front spinning-tin-can sound only happens at high speeds.

I bought at an LBS, so tomorrow I'm headed over to see whats up. I just want to learn something more from the experience. I have a Topeak II multitool for adjusting things, if you guys can help me out, maybe i could learn something about bike maintenance

Thank you all in advance.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    could the plastic protector behind my rear cassette be causing the gazoo sound?

My problem is that I cant replicate this phenomenon while off the bike it seems. And people tell me when I ride by they can hear the gazoo sound clearly, even at low speeds, from my rear tire assembly, but I need to ride by at high speed for the front tire assembly to make the spinning tin can sound.

The sounds are incredibly disturbing, I get a mental image of my front wheel going off the fork when it starts making that noize.

Any suggestions on how/what to check would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Remove the plastic dork ring. You don't need it. As for the front wheel. I get that too, 275lbs myself. Make sure your skewers are tight, I always attributed it to the wheels getting some flex. (happens mostly in corners.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crbrocket
    Remove the plastic dork ring. You don't need it. As for the front wheel. I get that too, 275lbs myself. Make sure your skewers are tight, I always attributed it to the wheels getting some flex. (happens mostly in corners.
    YES! happens the most when I turn the wheel, I noticed too. But I couldn't place it as the cause because it happened on straight roads at high speeds too!

I'll get to removing the "dork ring"... not sure what its for anyways.

My skewers? pardon my newbishness to disc brakes, but those are the pins that go into the disc to stop it, right? and by tight, does that suggest some more proper position? how should it look? .. mines looks like it has space in between, but I cant look that close while speeding down the trail.

Btw, I've never met a rider near as heavy as me.. any tips I might not have thought of that apply to us heavier riders?

mtbr member
    The noise you're hearing could just be from wheel flex - when I was heavier (230lbs or so) I got the same noises but in turns. I've heard the hub could also be slightly loose, causing the vibration.

For the 'heavier' riders question, check out the Clydesdale forum. I think there are some dudes there bigger than you
    :wq

Singletrack Slayer
    The plastic ring in the rear wheel is a spoke guard if your chain where to go up into the spokes, nobody uses that crap, we always remove it first, it can cause problems. As for the front noise, the skewer is what holds your wheel on. Make sure it is a tight as you can get it. There is a good chance your just experiencing some rotor flex with you being a big dude, it might be what you hear. I think that that the brake is not properly setup and/or it is still getting broken in. On the bikepedia site it list your bike as having a 7 inch front rotor, I think that might also be part of your problem because with your size , turning the wheel, the fork can flex a little and cause the rotor to rub slightly. I would recommend you take it back to the LBS and have them adjust it and remove your plastic guard as well. It should be easier to just let the pros do it, I mean you just bought the bike right. Disc are not hard to set up, but not everyone has the knowledge/skills to do it. Ask them if you can watch and learn. Usally they wont mind because if you learn then it is one less thing for you to come back to them with. Just my 2 cents.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    The plastic ring in the rear wheel is a spoke guard if your chain where to go up into the spokes, nobody uses that crap, we always remove it first, it can cause problems. As for the front noise, the skewer is what holds your wheel on. Make sure it is a tight as you can get it. There is a good chance your just experiencing some rotor flex with you being a big dude, it might be what you hear. I think that that the brake is not properly setup and/or it is still getting broken in. On the bikepedia site it list your bike as having a 7 inch front rotor, I think that might also be part of your problem because with your size , turning the wheel, the fork can flex a little and cause the rotor to rub slightly. I would recommend you take it back to the LBS and have them adjust it and remove your plastic guard as well. It should be easier to just let the pros do it, I mean you just bought the bike right. Disc are not hard to set up, but not everyone has the knowledge/skills to do it. Ask them if you can watch and learn. Usally they wont mind because if you learn then it is one less thing for you to come back to them with. Just my 2 cents.
    Ok, so when I get home I take the front wheel off and put it on tight as I can get it. I then get to the shop and have them take off the plastic ring and check out my rear assembly.

And since there is 7 inches inbetween my fork arms, I should look for tortion and see if anything is turned odd and/or rubbing?

Thats it? Then just ride & see I presume? Hope I've exhausted enough possibilities and it doesnt re-appear as my phantom un-explainable sound.

Singletrack Slayer
    Make sure that you have put your front wheel on correct. Be sure to put the wheel back in straight and all the way up into the dropouts. If you don't, you will have bad break rub and the wheel will not spin. Good luck and I hope it goes away.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Get this, I took it to my LBS, he rides the bike, it makes the noise, he takes it to his work space and removes the rear tire, does some work on it, then clips off the plastic guard, puts it back on, takes it for a ride.. STILL makes the noise.. he asks two other employees to take a look at it... the second guy decided to push the reflector (which seemed like it was on solid) a little further down the spokes, closer to the tire, so its really locked in... goes for a ride, NADA.. I try it out, nada, no sound from the rear tire.. flawless..

man, I was happy.. bought a kickstand and water bottle holder right there and then to round off the bike, and I was just riding past dark, by street lamps, in the rain, .. covered 8 miles.. man, all this motivation a new and working bike just gives you!