1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

bought a bike...whats next?

Hi everybody Its 4:20

Just bought my first mountain bike and was just wondering wether I should bring it to the shop and get it tuned. It runs fine and I don't think it needs anything, but i am new to this so any help would be greatly sugested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bought used?

I am assuming it is used. If new it should have been adjusted correctly by the shop. All new bikes need adjustment after a few weeks due to cable stretch, and most shops include a free tune-up after 30 days or so.
    If it is used and shifting and braking smoothly and quietly I would hold off on taking it to a shop. Take the money saved and buy the book, "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance." Well written and easy (for the most part) to understand and follow. You'll save money and be able to fix or adjust things when out on the trail.
    Even better would be to find somebody who repairs their own bike then bribe with beer and pizza to have them show you how to do basic repairs and adjustments. They can tell you what tools you will need to buy, or let you borrow theirs (return all tools quickly if you ever want to borrow another one).
    Have fun with your bike.

backwoods and backwards
    The Zinn book is good, most repair/maintance info is on parktool.com. for free. It's always good to clean and lube the chain often and alway check tire pressure before riding.Other than that, just strap on a helmet and ride.Riding with an experienced rider is probably the best way to learn. The Ned Overend book is the only one I would recomend to learn any skills from. Most important, have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the advice. Yes the bike is used, but everything shifts fine. The chain may need to be lubed, but thatts it.