1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Bought the bike, took the first ride

Been lurking for awhile. I went out finally and got a bike this week, a 2003 Giant Ranier. Sorry for the novel, but I'm stoked about getting back into an old hobby, a different variety this time.

Spec'ed as follows:

Marchozzi Bomber front end
    Shimano Deore shifter
    Shimano Deore LX gears
    Easton EA70 bar
    Avid disc brakes
    Serfas seat
    Mosquito tires

The previous owner bought the bike new. Said he rode it a total of 10 times in 4 years. Was obviously well-maintained, and in great shape, always kept in-doors. He also threw in a helmet and a vehicle carrying rack because we had similar vehicles and his rack would fit my Jeep. Total purchase price, $200.

I felt I had gotten a great deal. I took the bike to an LBS the next morning and he confirmed by belief. The bike was as good as it looked.

So I bought a few necessary items to be prepared.....hydration backpack, tube, tire tool, multi-tool, chain lube, and a pair of baggy biking shorts. The bike had clipless pedals, but I didn't want to fight that learning curve just yet, so I replaced them with some Wellgo flats. I have not ridden a bike regularly since 1987, and back then it was a Bridgestone road bike.

Took it to a local trail in Baton Rouge, and had a blast. Bike got out from under me a couple of times. Had some hesitation over some of the obstacles and downhill parts. I'll overcome that as I get familiar with my equipment and gain confidence in my abilities. Had a wipeout at one point that left me spread eagle across the track, and I loved it. Got up, walked off the pain in my joints, wiped off my bloody hand, and got back at it. Made a mental note to buy some gloves so I don't cut my palms while breaking my falls again in the future Overall I think I was adequately prepared. Need to get a pump, as a tube is kinda worthless without one and bring a rag with me to wipe off the sweat that kept pouring in my eyes all day.

All in all, I had a great first day. I'm a bit sore, not from the fall, just the muscles in general. Want to take it out again tomorrow. I think I will, but on the Mississippi River levee, a nice flat ride.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Yikes, that sounds like its better specced that the current stock Giant Talon. Sounds like you got a good deal.

But yes, definately get some gloves.

My riding mates think I'm going overkill wearing Fox Dirtpaw (fullly enclosed gloves, more designed for BMX really) but actually I buy them for a reason secondary to protecting my palms - when it's wet (or if I sweat enough for it to be a problem), my fingers slip off the brake levers without gloves. Just something to consider.

I post too much.
    Sounds like you had a great time, keep us posted!

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

The older model Rainier's were very good hardtails. You got yourself a winner

Enjoy the bike and be sure to come back with some pics.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

There's no app for this.

I'd sell the bike

..it's already 3-4 years old!

I noted that the bike squirted out from under a few times. since you got such a great deal, I might suggest you replace the tires with some Kenda Nevegal Stick-E Kevlar bead tires. But only if you feel traction is an issue.

I once had a Kona XC bike with Mosquitoes and those tires are principally made for racing if I recall correctly.

Hope that helps, he// of a deal on the bike! Ride it like you stole it, Jim

Baton Rouge, LA
    Tires are the first upgrade I have in mind. These do seem like they would be better for a skilled, faster rider. I'm dumb and slow at this time. The guy at the LBS indicated as well that they were more of a speed tire. I'll give them a few more goes to make sure it's not a rider issue. I'm taking it out today for a flat ride on the Mississippi River Levee.

All in all, I am very excited. I had several people comment on my bike at the trail. When I told them the price their jaws dropped. It's a nice feeling to know that people have bike envy over the newbs new (old) ride