1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bought a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Cobia

Hello All,

Just bought this from Bicycle Discovery in Huntington Beach, CA for $950 OTD. It's the 2011 model but I thought it was a good deal... I hope? Well, same day I took it out on the trails in Irvine park in Orange, CA. Man... to be honest it was my second time mountain biking and it was a tough one. After an hour or so of riding (75% uphill climb/25% downhill) I was beat.

So, I was thinking I should upgrade the following?
    Handlebars
    Pedals
    Get a pair of shorts and a jersey
    I already have a helmet... but it's tempting to get a full helmet..

I think this should be good for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what about the handlebars makes you want to upgrade them.

helmet, the only official numbers ive seen were for motorcycles. over 60% of accidents involved the chin area hitting the ground. but average mtb speed is considerably less than average motorcycle speed. outside of downhill and stunters i almost never see fullface on bicycles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The grip of the handlebars feel not very grippy at all. As for the full face helmet, if I fall over the bike, I don't think I want to smack my chin or any part of my face into the rocks beneath me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    so you probably want new grips and not new bars.

your call on the helmet. just realize ventilation on most of them is horrible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ah ok. New grips then I mean. thanks. Yeah I realize that... I definitely want to get pedals first though. The one that comes stock is ok but I lose grip pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tenchichrono View Post
    Ah ok. New grips then I mean. thanks. Yeah I realize that... I definitely want to get pedals first though. The one that comes stock is ok but I lose grip pretty easily.
    congrats on the new bike. i had a 2009 cobia and enjoyed it a lot! i agree on the pedals- stock ones are good enough for a ride around the neighborhood at best. check out some wellgo mg-1 pedal- around $35 on ebay through abaxo. i have a pair on my and my wife's bikes.

good idea on better grips. i didn't like the stock bontragers either.

it's smart to get some biking shorts. i'm not a fan of jerseys and get away with wicking-type shirts.

for the great majority, a basic helmet is fine but if you're falling a lot and/or need extra head protection for some reason, then look into full face helmets.

enjoy!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thinking of putting MG-1s on my 2010 Cobia as well. Although I'm a little wary of buying on eBay from "Abaxo," that seller has a ton of negative feedback and I can't figure out why the MG-1s seem to only be available on eBay and Amazon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett79 View Post
    Thinking of putting MG-1s on my 2010 Cobia as well. Although I'm a little wary of buying on eBay from "Abaxo," that seller has a ton of negative feedback and I can't figure out why the MG-1s seem to only be available on eBay and Amazon.
    I too was looking for MG-1 and thought the exact same two things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, agree it, your call on the helmet. just realize ventilation on most of them is horrible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett79 View Post
    FWIW, I have ordiered a few things from "abaxo" and have never been dissapointed, fast shipping and things exactly as described. I know a lot of people who got those MG-1's from him as well. He responds great so if you ask him why I am sure he'll respond.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pedals for sure would be the first to go for me. My brother got the same bike. Stock pedals are terrible. Get you a nice platform or clipless. A good pedal makes all the difference! Second for me would be new tires... think that bike comes with some 2.2 tires... tad on the small side for my taste but that's just me.