1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bottom Bracket help

So today I got a new set of cranks with the external bearing style bottom bracket. The spacers for a 68mm bb aren't squished between the frame and bearings if that makes sense. Are they supposed to be like that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Don't understand what you are saying?
    They are spacers. They take up space when you install the bearing. On a 68mm BB, one on the drive side, 2 on the non-drive side. Overall width should be 92mm, I believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I want to know if the spacers should have pressure on them when it is all installed. I have the spacers on the way the instructions say and the cups are tight but the spacers are loose.

mtbr member
    Spacers shouldn't be loose. Maybe you need to clean the threads in the BB shell if you can't thread the cups in all the way. Could have some old thread lock in there.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Spacers shouldn't be loose. Maybe you need to clean the threads in the BB shell if you can't thread the cups in all the way. Could have some old thread lock in there.

John
    What do I clean them with?

mtbr member
    I have used WD-40 and old steel BB cups from a long time ago. I sprayed the threads and slowly threaded in the cups. It seemed to work. If I recall correctly I would thread in the old cup and then back it off a half a turn then in a half a turn and back it off. Every now and then remove it and wipe everything down. It was an aluminum frame so I didn't want to screw up the threads.

You may be able to use goo gone, but I'm not sure. First thing is to look to see what is on the threads. It may even be old hard dirty grease and a degreaser will remove that.

John

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can use a rag and some wd40,and old sponge, tooth brush.. Etc.. How are you installing it? Which pieces first?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    You can use a rag and some wd40,and old sponge, tooth brush.. Etc.. How are you installing it? Which pieces first?

I put the drive side in first then the non drive side. Would Pb Blaster work instead of WD40?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I have used WD-40 and old steel BB cups from a long time ago. I sprayed the threads and slowly threaded in the cups. It seemed to work. If I recall correctly I would thread in the old cup and then back it off a half a turn then in a half a turn and back it off. Every now and then remove it and wipe everything down. It was an aluminum frame so I didn't want to screw up the threads.

You may be able to use goo gone, but I'm not sure. First thing is to look to see what is on the threads. It may even be old hard dirty grease and a degreaser will remove that.

John
    WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent based product designed to loosen fasteners...it has no application relating to lubrication and it is hugely misunderstood...not a bad product for its intended use, but it has no place if we are attempting to lubricate threads in a bottom bracket...in my opinion

and the goo gone ditty is not worthy of any comment...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I believe wd40s base is vegetable oil. It is a lubricant, but not an industrial one. for cleaning threads, it's definitely suited for that because it is a degreaser. And any hardened grease or whatever will be loosened by it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent product designed to loosen fasteners...it has no application relating to lubrication and it is hugely misunderstood...not a bad product for its intended use, but it has no place if we are attempting to lubricate threads in a bottom bracket...in my opinion
    Not trying to lubricate threads. Trying to get the thread lock and gunk softened and out of the threads to be able to thread the cup all the way in, or at least far enough to tighten the spacers up snug (30/40 nm?). I use Phil's grease to install cups.

John

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The WD40 worked. Thanks a ton for the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I believe wd40s base is vegetable oil. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    I thought it was fish oil, but that appears to be urban legend.
    This is an interesting read if time must be killed.
    WD-40 Facts & Myths | WD-40 Ingredients
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Don't understand what you are saying?
    They are spacers. They take up space when you install the bearing. On a 68mm BB, one on the drive side, 2 on the non-drive side. Overall width should be 92mm, I believe.
    GXP bottom brackets use 1 spacer each side for 68mm BB's. I'm not sure which cups the OPer has. Just wanted to make sure to check the installation instructions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    WD40 makes a chain lube now. Works well and smells really good.
    I've been getting lewd propositions from my riding buddys since I started using it.
    YMMV
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used to use one lube that smelled like fruity goodness before I started using wax

mtbr member
    you sure smell good...is that aftershave or WD40 chain lube...?
    2014 Nail Trail 29er