1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    oh Lucky me

bottom bracket help

So I need help figuring out if my bottom bracket is toast or not.

everytime i cycle through a rotation i can hear a 'crinking' kind of like 'cracking' noise. it is almost as if everytime i put a small amount of pressure on the cranks, they make this terrible "breaking" (is the only way i can describe it) noise. i have checked the two main bolts as well as all the chain ring bolts, everything seems tight.

the only thing i can think of is possibly my bottom bracket?

help?
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My BB makes a creaking noise also.(mabye cause Im 250lbs) I m just going to let it creak away and fix it if it breaks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you feel up to it you can remove the crank and bottom bracket to check for wear or damage. Water or other contaminants could have gotten into the bottom bracket.

loves me some carbon
    If yours are the older type where the cranks push onto tapered squares then you are going to struggle to get rid of the creaking. What happens is the hex bolts that hold them on are seldom done up all that tight from new, and as things bed in the cranks begin to move a fraction, which distorts the square fittings and then the problem just gets worse. I replaced my hex bolts with the older type of bolts and got a really big socket to put as much torque as possible on them. I also used loc-tite to stop them working loose. And I greased the squares to keep them quiet.
    If you have a newer type, then something is moving that shouldn't. Don't let it continue, as it is metal on metal movement, and something is going to give. You may have to go to a bike shop and get the mechanic to have a look.
    Hope this helps.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    So I need help figuring out if my bottom bracket is toast or not.

everytime i cycle through a rotation i can hear a 'crinking' kind of like 'cracking' noise. it is almost as if everytime i put a small amount of pressure on the cranks, they make this terrible "breaking" (is the only way i can describe it) noise. i have checked the two main bolts as well as all the chain ring bolts, everything seems tight.

the only thing i can think of is possibly my bottom bracket?

help?
    What type of BB is it? As another poster said, if it has a square taper, it could be that they are wallowing out. The left side usually is the culprit, as the crank rotation is counter to the rotation of the nut holding it in place.

oh Lucky me
    Truvativ Power Spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 113mm for 47.5mm chainline

-- from the manufacturer website

i mean its only $20 bucks to replace so im not overly worried about that. i just want to know, before i start throwin money into it, that this is indeed the noise.
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I thought my BB was going until my right pedal shot bearings out the endcap
    Stumpjumper HT 29'er dubbed "The Frankonmuter"

On the North Shore in Minnesota
    My Blog

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    My truvativ outboard style bb makes a creaking noise and it has for a while now. It started about 2 months after I replaced the bearings. I'm not concerned, but if it's a grinding sound I would look into getting it fixed.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    Truvativ Power Spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 113mm for 47.5mm chainline

-- from the manufacturer website

i mean its only $20 bucks to replace so im not overly worried about that. i just want to know, before i start throwin money into it, that this is indeed the noise.
    Sounds like a good opportunity to upgrade components.

What could go wrong ...
    Yeah I had a creaking noise that I thought was the BB ... turned out it was the crank arm slowly cracking ... so you might want to remove your crank arms and check them for cracks while you are doing all the other stuff mentioned
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me