1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

bottom bracket and crankset

i'm trying to upgrade my 2000 giant ocr2 road bike with a new bottom bracket and crankset. in my quest, i realize they come in different categories. how do i know if my bike requires square taperd or splined? any tips? much appreciated.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by montana
    i'm trying to upgrade my 2000 giant ocr2 road bike with a new bottom bracket and crankset. in my quest, i realize they come in different categories. how do i know if my bike requires square taperd or splined? any tips? much appreciated.
    Your frame only requires a specific shell length - 68mm.

Because you are choosing a new crank and bottom bracket, all you have to do is ensure the new bottom bracket is compatible with the new crank. Square taper, splined, integrated... your choice!

Dirt Burner

Take A Look

Quote Originally Posted by montana

First take a look between the bottom bracket tube of the frame and the crank, if its a square tapered bottom bracket you will be able to see it right at the inside of the crank arm (side closest to the bike), the shape will be square(imagine that). It would be better if you pulled the crank arm off the bike to be sure because if it is a splined bottom bracket then you need to know what type because there are different types of splines also. You can get a complete crank set that comes with a bottom bracket, but you need to know what the shell size of the bottom bracket is.
    Good Luck.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

mtbr member
    Square Taper or splined is the interface between the bottom bracket and crank. It is not frame specific.

What you need to determine is your bottom bracket shell width which is specific to your frame and spindle length (the lenght of the bottom bracket axle).

When you pick your new bottom bracket and crank, you need to make sure they are the same interface to work together and size them based on your frame.