1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bottom bracket confusion

Hey all,

This is probably a stupid question but even after doing a lot of research i am still confused and really need some help!

I purchased a SRAM XO crankset as part of a build kit for a new bike.

See below:

I thought at the time that the bb30 was the normal threaded version where the PF30 was the press in one. I'm now not so sure that the BB30 is suitable.

The new bike in question has a normal threaded frame for the bottom bracket.

Does that mean I can get away with running a SRAM GXP type bottom bracket on this chainset? or do I need to sell this and buy a different one!

I found the below link, but the cranksett has a 'GXP' logo on it where as mine doesn't

Tech Tuesday: Install a SRAM X.0 Two-By-Ten Crankset - Pinkbike

Help!

Rgds
    Pete

banned
    Sep 2012
    No I don't think you can. The standard "english thread" GXP bottom bracket does not use the same shaft as the BB30 or PF30 version. The shaft on a "standard" GXP has a 24mm diameter (vs 30mm on the BB30/PF30) and is actually installed on the drive side (right side) while the fastening bolt is on the non-drive crank (left side), opposite to what you have.

In addition, you have an extra preload ring on the crank shaft (that black ring on the non-drive side). You should try to return it and see if the seller will exchange it for a standard GXP one.

BTW, if you're looking for a deal, Jenson has the "correct" X.0 crankset on sale but you're limited to blue:
    Sram X.0 GXP 2X10 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

-S

P.S. Just installed my own X0 crankset (from Jenson) with GXP BB so it's still fresh in my head.
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks very much! That is frustrating!

I wonder if the axle is available seperately.

That is a good buy. Will have to grab one of those then I guess!

Rgds
    Pete

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by PSimpson7 View Post
    The arms are different too. Look at how the axle sits in the arm. Now consider an axle with a 6 mm smaller diameter. You probably saved enough doing a parts kit vs. piecemeal to still come out ahead even after this, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Rgds
    Pete
    Nope, the BB30 and GXP cranks are totally different designs, and the spindles are permanently attached to one of the arms.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks guys, appreciate the accurate answers!

Learnt my lesson there!

Rgds
    Pete

banned
    Sep 2012

Rgds
    Pete
    You gotta also remember to buy the GXP BB with that set because it doesn't come with one. The standard Team GXP BB runs around $35-$40.

-S

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    cheers.

Just sold it on ebay for only about $25 less than I paid for it so it wasnt the end of the world! sold in under 30 minutes!

Will order the correct one shortly

Thanks again
    Pete

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've just grabbed one of the GXP ones from Jenson aswell.

Thanks for the heads up on that shibiwan

Cheers
    Pete