1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bottom Bracket

mtbr member

New question here. Bottom Bracket

hey there
    My bottom bracket keeps getting loose.Its sealed cartridge type. I tried to tightened mounting ring on the non gear side with the special tool, but after one ride,there is play in it and big gear ring rubs on the front derailleur. Do i need to use locktight on it or something else?thanx...

Picture Unrelated
    Without more information about what BB you have, I'm going to have to take some guesses here. Are we talking about a BB with a lockring? If so you have to loosen the lockring then tighten the BB shell its self before tightening down the lockring. You don't want to crank down all the way, just enough to stop the crank from having any play in the bearings.

I'd recommend taking the BB completely apart (no matter if I'm right or wrong about what type you have) then giving it a through clean and re-lube. Then put it back together from scratch with all the threads well lubed and all the pieces in the right place.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Didn't you have a previous post with this problem? Schwinn something-or-other?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    no previous post, my bike is 2010 specialized hardrock (see my avatar...; ) ).
    there is no lock rings, just shimano style mounting rings, sealed cartridge.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Broadly, there are two cartridge bottom bracket standards. Square taper and a couple splined standards. What do you have? You can find out by removing a mounting bolt and looking at the spindle. If a bolt's loose anyway, that should be pretty easy. :-P

Post a picture once you've got the bolt off.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by etboost View Post
    no previous post, my bike is 2010 specialized hardrock (see my avatar...; ) ).
    there is no lock rings, just shimano style mounting rings, sealed cartridge.
    So we're talking about an external bearing BB? Remove, clean, inspect for damage, re-grease, tighten to proper torque. The proper torque is (I believe) around 400 in-lbs, which isn't a small amount of torque. If you don't get them torqued up properly, they won't stay in place.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they're loose? Do they become hand tight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    So we're talking about an external bearing BB? Remove, clean, inspect for damage, re-grease, tighten to proper torque. The proper torque is (I believe) around 400 in-lbs, which isn't a small amount of torque. If you don't get them torqued up properly, they won't stay in place.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they're loose? Do they become hand tight?
    if i grab pedals and wiggle, I can see mounting rings move on both side. will regrease and re-tighten it tomorrow...
    thanx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's what I did for this problem.
    Before tightening the pinch bolts I put pressure on the assembly clamping it a little tighter with a 6" metal C clamp and two pieces of a paint stick to protect the crank from scratches. Tighten the bolts progressively one after the other in stages.

Picture Unrelated
    if i grab pedals and wiggle, I can see mounting rings move on both side. will regrease and re-tighten it tomorrow...
    thanx
    I still don't understand your issue since there is no such thing as "mounting rings". A picture would be helpful, otherwise, let's refer to the tech docs and see if we can nail down what's actually happening: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830708779.pdf

My guess is that your BB is fine and you're having an issue with the crank fixing system (numbers 1, 3, 4).

mtbr member
    thanx

If you have a traditional sealed cartridge bb, like this-

Bottom Bracket-bb132.jpg

then you need to make sure the drive side is sufficiently tight before you tighten the non-drive side cup.