1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

bontrager thorn resistant tube vs regular tube

Hi,
    I am looking at keeping some spare tubes for trek mtb cycle - 26 * 2.1 xr tyre. I was wondering if the thorn resistant tubes really make a difference.

From what I read online, they are heavier and may not make much a difference, and not to mention twice the cost.

I ride mostly in city and plan to do some off-ride. I am wondering if the additional price and weight is worth it.

thanks in advance

I build my own.
    I've used them. Didn't notice a difference in weight once installed. Thought I noticed a difference in the amount of thorn punctures. It could have been coincidence but I've never had a thorn puncture in a thorn-proof tube.

If you're mostly in the city and you're not having a serious thorn problem now, I wouldn't bother. The difference in cost is pretty big (relatively speaking)
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

backwoods and backwards
    If you're just cruising about you wont notice the weight penalty much. Thorn resistant tubes will help contend with broken glass( that happens in cities, right?) I always move to heavier tubes as the temps drop because fixing flats in mud and slush at 38F plain sux. At twice the price it's still only like $5 more. I'm not seeing a down-side.
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    I use schwalbe rapid Rob puncture resistant tires. Lite skins, they aren't very good in my opinion. I have had a few thorns ruin rides , or went to get bike out to find it punctured. I've recently invested in some slime tubes which are in the post. Hopefully when they arrive things will change! I always get punctures so who keep you posted as to how i get on.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    If you're just cruising about you wont notice the weight penalty much. Thorn resistant tubes will help contend with broken glass( that happens in cities, right?) I always move to heavier tubes as the temps drop because fixing flats in mud and slush at 38F plain sux. At twice the price it's still only like $5 more. I'm not seeing a down-side.
    Actually, here it's 3x the price but still no big deal.

So, there you go Sanjayc. I'd pretty much agree with MOJO. Glass and winter tube changing would sway me towards using the thorn tubes even in the city. I haven't been in a city for so long I'd forgotten about the broken glass everywhere.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hum...I spend most of my bike ridding time in the city and don't see much glass or have issues with flats.