1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    White Knuckle Rider

Bolt size on my stem?

Not sure where to post this question, but I want to replace the bolts on my stem and am not sure size to get. I know I've switched them between stems before so I assume they are all the same basic size.

They have a lot of sizes/ colors here... but not sure what I need, or if there is a better place to get them.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling...num_Bolts.html

Mods... if this is in the wrong section please move it.
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

Picture Unrelated
    Depends on your stem, which bolts you're talking about, and how long everything is. Things I can tell you for sure: they're metric, and aluminum bolts are a third as strong as steel with a lower fatigue life. Not exactly what I would be looking for in a stem bolt.

If you're talking the headset preload bolt, well that doesn't see much force so I can't say there's anything wrong with getting one of those in Al; I think those are M6x30 typically. I guess it depends on your star nut.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Take one of your existing bolts to a hardware store. You can find the thread size by trying different nuts. Measure the length and then you have it.

HatrickPatrick
    Apr 2012
    I ordered a custom top cap from Purely Custom and the length of the headset bolt they gave me is too short by about 1/2 an inch. Unfortunately the top cap uses a flat head bolt, so my original bolt (which is actually rusting on the inside) is sticking up out of it - horribly ugly. Any one have any ideas on where to track down a flathead top cap bolt (allen socket)?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
    Any one have any ideas on where to track down a flathead top cap bolt (allen socket)?
    I would start at the local hardware store. Sounds to me like your starnut is too low. You could always knock that one out and press a new one in.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    fastenal or mcmaster-carr are go-to sources for bolts/screws/etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    fastenal or mcmaster-carr are go-to sources for bolts/screws/etc.
    This