1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

BMX pedals for MTB???

My LBS sold me these pedals. I googled them and they appear to be BMX pedals rather than MTB pedals. However they look much the same as other decent flats. I haven't installed them yet. Any reason why I shouldn't? Any pros/cons to these vs dedicated MTB pedals?

Mac - Fitbikeco.

Thanks

mtbr member
    As long as it's 9/16 inch threads and the cranks are too. Pinned platform's are good for both.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Only 6 pins per side. There are lots of other choices before picking these.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: BMX pedals for MTB???

They are fine so long as they are providing adequate grip. As some one has mentioned they are a bit skimp on pins. They are also a bit on the heavy side at 550g.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Flat pedals are flat pedals so long as they stick to your sneakers. Bmx pedals are likely to be heaveir than a lot of mtb pedals bit also a lot cheaper.

Picture Unrelated
    Do you like them?

There's no other aspect to a pedal. If you like them keep them; if not, get rid of them. To be honest, it's the same with literally every every aspect of a bicycle.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I use pinned flats for wet spring riding. as long as the thread is the same on both the crank and the pedal, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I love riding my platforms. I've used the same Bell platforms for my past 2 bikes. They're cheap, and I love them. Ride them and if you like them, who cares what other people think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The thing is these things weren't cheap compared to some of the cheap alternatives I've seen online and they do seem a tad heavy. They have 'sealed bearings' which I've noticed some of the more expensive models have. I've only ridden them once so far and they seem Ok but no wow factor so far. I'm thinking I rushed out and bought an expensive model when there are much cheaper and potentially lighter alternatives available. Oh well I've got them now so might as well ride them and see if I like them. If they suck I'll just chalk it up to more wasted money on upgraditis.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

BMX pedals for MTB???

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    The thing is these things weren't cheap compared to some of the cheap alternatives I've seen online and they do seem a tad heavy. They have 'sealed bearings' which I've noticed some of the more expensive models have. I've only ridden them once so far and they seem Ok but no wow factor so far. I'm thinking I rushed out and bought an expensive model when there are much cheaper and potentially lighter alternatives available. Oh well I've got them now so might as well ride them and see if I like them. If they suck I'll just chalk it up to more wasted money on upgraditis.
    You just made every point I was about to, which supports returning them while they are new and getting something you'd rather have. All of this is a good reason to return these pedals.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    You just made every point I was about to, which supports returning them while they are new and getting something you'd rather have. All of this is a good reason to return these pedals.
    Yep, already returned them and have a pair of Wellgo V12's on the way that appear lighter in weight, have twice the number of pins and cost less than half the price.