1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: bmx bikes?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

New question here. bmx bikes?

is it possible to ride a norco rivet bmx bike on the trails? Im asking this because my grandpa bought me the bike so i could go trail riding with a better bike than my walmart bike.

my fun has a hurting
    everything will be much much harder with those little tires and a full rigid. i ride my 24" cruiser in some tech singletrack near my house once in a while and it kicks my ass every time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just rode yesterday with a friend who only had a RedLine BMX bike. He had 0 problems besides 2 really steep climbs, that he just walked up.

Is it best.. NO, can you do it... YES.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ya can't really climb... and where i live the trail is 50% climbing..

Freshly Fujified

Yes you can

Take the bike out on the trails and have fun. Be sure to thank your grandfayher for buying you such a nice bike. Let us know how you make out.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MTBR Demi-God
    With a fair amount of certainty, I can tell you that riding a BMX bike on the trails will be a bone rattling fun! You should not have any problems riding it on the trails- just make sure that you have a helmet on.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not sure what the setup is on your bike is but you're gonna want brakes front and rear for trail riding. Also, don't run high tire pressure (the 80-100 psi a lot of the hardcore bmxers run would be really unpleasant on a bumpy trail), I'm not sure how low you can go on a 20" tire without getting pinch flats so you'll probably have to experiment a bit.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    i still cant test it out yet becuz its at my grandpas farm which is 2 hours away from where i live, but when i get it out on the trals i'll let u guys know