1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Biking shorts/pants

My friends and I have always laughed at the idea of me on butt hugging spandex like bike shorts and tights. I commute with a bike to work and always see people in lycra shorts...Personally I still can't wrap my head around wearing nothing but underwear. How many of you guys wear this stuff? Would it look weird to ride an XC bike with road-cycling bibs/shorts? As hotter months are coming to a close, I starting to open up to the idea of more practical cycling pants/tights, but images like the one below always comes to mind

Picture Unrelated
    Man, this again...

There is a reason you see so many riders wearing lycra shorts; it's because it works and it works better than anything else. If you're insecure about the size of your concealment, don't wear red shorts. If you're still insecure then ride with a set of baggies with the lycra inserts. Be prepared to spend a bit of money because getting a good quality chamois in those shorts will be money well spent.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    no matter what riding wear looks ridiculous

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    maybe i will rock some blues out lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    last post

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wear the chamois underneath, but I refuse to wear just that. So, get an outer shell, something comfortable, and rock it. This is just for my XC riding. I don't commute, although I wish that I could.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I wear the chamois underneath, but I refuse to wear just that. So, get an outer shell, something comfortable, and rock it. This is just for my XC riding. I don't commute, although I wish that I could.
    Kind of expensive...I was looking at nashbar and performance bikes and they never have mediums(my size) in stock. There's some ebay ones but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger. Anybody have any experience with these?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I got my Pearl Izumi chamois from HuckNRoll for $22 each. Get a pair of gym shorts from Target and you are set.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Those eBay ones ship from Hong Kong. Huge red flag for me.

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of gym shorts over them... no problems whatsoever.

I got a cheap pair at MEC (like REI) for like $30. They do the trick.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    I have a bunch of baggy shorts with the chamois or whatever underneath. As I've lost weight I found the shorts getting a little too baggy for the past few months and it makes me want to try just the spandex but I kinda like having pockets from my baggy shorts too. Now it feels really weird to ride in anything but my baggy cycle shorts. I bought them from REI for a nice chunk of cash but well worth it in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Chamois with true board shorts for me. Works great

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For those doing long distance XC or racing, a full kit makes sense. For everyone else, liners and your trusty cargo shorts should be all you need. And that's assuming you even sit down while riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wear a liner and a shell that came with them. Shell is a tougher material in case come off the bike you won't tear your lyrca/spandes/whatever...

Inspector Gadget
    Unless you are a smokin hot lady or someone is paying you to ride... Please please for the love of dogs keep your skin tight skibbies out of sight. I wear mine under some fox baggy shorts.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok I think I need some clearity on this subject. I see everyone say chamois.... I see this word and all that comes to mind is the towel that I used to use to dry off my truck with after washing it.

When I read all these post about chamois it sounds to me like compression shorts??

The other thing is I was looking at a pair of cardini MTN baggy that have a portion of a compression shorts sewn in them, If I was to get something like this do you just wear this and nothing underneath?

Suckin wind like a boss
    you dont wear anything under the liner short/ compression short/ chamois short. that is your base layer. some mtb baggies have the chamois liner sewn in (aerotechs do), others have removable liners (endura for one.)
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

crash test dummy
    I think chamois is a term left over because chamois leather was the original material used as a liner to prevent chaffing and blisters (like leather work gloves but for your inner thighs). I've never seen leather lined shorts in person, most use synthetic materials but they still call it a chamois.
    Are there shorts out there that still use leather?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok now that makes more sense. So i was doubling up on my stuff as the one pair has inserts already in it but I was also wearing a separate pair of compression shorts under them.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Ok now that makes more sense. So i was doubling up on my stuff as the one pair has inserts already in it but I was also wearing a separate pair of compression shorts under them.
    You want that bicycle "chamois" layer against your skin. It is designed to prevent chafing.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

NeedGod.com
    Bicycle shorts are worth their weight in gold. The skintight lycra ones may look stupid, but it keeps your crotch dry and comfy. They give padding, which if you ever want to have more kids, you MUST wear them. You do not wear underwear with them...they have that liner inside that wicks the moisture away from your body.

That said, I don't have a good pair of mtb shorts yet. Right now, I just wear my Nut-hugging shorts by themselves or under some cargo shorts.

NeedGod.com
    I didn't mean to imply that you MUST wear lycra shorts. Any bike shorts will do, baggy or whatever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wear a pair of Nike Pro compression shorts underneath a pair of these:

and I wear some Nike dri fit shorts on top of that. I'm very comfortable and no chaffing or blisters.

mtbr member
    Ok I think I need some clearity on this subject. I see everyone say chamois.... I see this word and all that comes to mind is the towel that I used to use to dry off my truck with after washing it.
    A Chamois is a European mountain goat, the animal from which the leather for the insert was originally made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Grow up, wear the lycra shorts. You're riding a bike, thats what cyclists wear. There is a reason for it.
    I tried wearing normal shorts over bike shorts or liners but gave up - why wash 2 pairs of shorts for every ride?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast