Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Biking shorts/pants

My friends and I have always laughed at the idea of me on butt hugging spandex like bike shorts and tights. I commute with a bike to work and always see people in lycra shorts...Personally I still can't wrap my head around wearing nothing but underwear. How many of you guys wear this stuff? Would it look weird to ride an XC bike with road-cycling bibs/shorts? As hotter months are coming to a close, I starting to open up to the idea of more practical cycling pants/tights, but images like the one below always comes to mind

Picture Unrelated
    Man, this again...

There is a reason you see so many riders wearing lycra shorts; it's because it works and it works better than anything else. If you're insecure about the size of your concealment, don't wear red shorts. If you're still insecure then ride with a set of baggies with the lycra inserts. Be prepared to spend a bit of money because getting a good quality chamois in those shorts will be money well spent.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    no matter what riding wear looks ridiculous

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    maybe i will rock some blues out lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    last post

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wear the chamois underneath, but I refuse to wear just that. So, get an outer shell, something comfortable, and rock it. This is just for my XC riding. I don't commute, although I wish that I could.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I wear the chamois underneath, but I refuse to wear just that. So, get an outer shell, something comfortable, and rock it. This is just for my XC riding. I don't commute, although I wish that I could.
    Kind of expensive...I was looking at nashbar and performance bikes and they never have mediums(my size) in stock. There's some ebay ones but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger. Anybody have any experience with these?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I got my Pearl Izumi chamois from HuckNRoll for $22 each. Get a pair of gym shorts from Target and you are set.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Those eBay ones ship from Hong Kong. Huge red flag for me.

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of gym shorts over them... no problems whatsoever.

I got a cheap pair at MEC (like REI) for like $30. They do the trick.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    I have a bunch of baggy shorts with the chamois or whatever underneath. As I've lost weight I found the shorts getting a little too baggy for the past few months and it makes me want to try just the spandex but I kinda like having pockets from my baggy shorts too. Now it feels really weird to ride in anything but my baggy cycle shorts. I bought them from REI for a nice chunk of cash but well worth it in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Chamois with true board shorts for me. Works great

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For those doing long distance XC or racing, a full kit makes sense. For everyone else, liners and your trusty cargo shorts should be all you need. And that's assuming you even sit down while riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wear a liner and a shell that came with them. Shell is a tougher material in case come off the bike you won't tear your lyrca/spandes/whatever...

Inspector Gadget
    Unless you are a smokin hot lady or someone is paying you to ride... Please please for the love of dogs keep your skin tight skibbies out of sight. I wear mine under some fox baggy shorts.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok I think I need some clearity on this subject. I see everyone say chamois.... I see this word and all that comes to mind is the towel that I used to use to dry off my truck with after washing it.

When I read all these post about chamois it sounds to me like compression shorts??

The other thing is I was looking at a pair of cardini MTN baggy that have a portion of a compression shorts sewn in them, If I was to get something like this do you just wear this and nothing underneath?

Suckin wind like a boss
    you dont wear anything under the liner short/ compression short/ chamois short. that is your base layer. some mtb baggies have the chamois liner sewn in (aerotechs do), others have removable liners (endura for one.)
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

crash test dummy
    I think chamois is a term left over because chamois leather was the original material used as a liner to prevent chaffing and blisters (like leather work gloves but for your inner thighs). I've never seen leather lined shorts in person, most use synthetic materials but they still call it a chamois.
    Are there shorts out there that still use leather?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok now that makes more sense. So i was doubling up on my stuff as the one pair has inserts already in it but I was also wearing a separate pair of compression shorts under them.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Ok now that makes more sense. So i was doubling up on my stuff as the one pair has inserts already in it but I was also wearing a separate pair of compression shorts under them.
    You want that bicycle "chamois" layer against your skin. It is designed to prevent chafing.

NeedGod.com
    Bicycle shorts are worth their weight in gold. The skintight lycra ones may look stupid, but it keeps your crotch dry and comfy. They give padding, which if you ever want to have more kids, you MUST wear them. You do not wear underwear with them...they have that liner inside that wicks the moisture away from your body.

That said, I don't have a good pair of mtb shorts yet. Right now, I just wear my Nut-hugging shorts by themselves or under some cargo shorts.

NeedGod.com
    I didn't mean to imply that you MUST wear lycra shorts. Any bike shorts will do, baggy or whatever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wear a pair of Nike Pro compression shorts underneath a pair of these:

and I wear some Nike dri fit shorts on top of that. I'm very comfortable and no chaffing or blisters.

El Gato Malo
    Ok I think I need some clearity on this subject. I see everyone say chamois.... I see this word and all that comes to mind is the towel that I used to use to dry off my truck with after washing it.
    A Chamois is a European mountain goat, the animal from which the leather for the insert was originally made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Grow up, wear the lycra shorts. You're riding a bike, thats what cyclists wear. There is a reason for it.
    I tried wearing normal shorts over bike shorts or liners but gave up - why wash 2 pairs of shorts for every ride?

NeedGod.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Grow up, wear the lycra shorts. You're riding a bike, thats what cyclists wear. There is a reason for it.
    I tried wearing normal shorts over bike shorts or liners but gave up - why wash 2 pairs of shorts for every ride?
    The only reason I sometimes wear shorts over my lycra is for the pockets or to protect my lycra from thorns and brush in some of the heavy areas that I seem to get myself into. But yeah, for a recreational type ride...it's lycra.

mtbr member
    Alright, alright man, don't have a goat..chamois...get it? Ok dumb joke. I'm going to try out these ebay knickers for around 20 bucks and see how it is. If I can deal with it, I"ll get better quality ones. Also, I'm just curious about the quality of these things from China as I'm almost certainly sure those major brands from the major stores are also made in China.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I used to wear cycling shorts back in the 90's because my seat had no cushion. Now you can buy a seat that won't aggravate your taint and ride just as comfortably. Another idea is to get a cheap pair of padded shorts and wear 'em under some cargo's.

I'd rather be on my bike
    If you find the right shorts to wear as a top layer, you won't even notice. I do it out of courtesy to everyone else out on the trail. No one wants to see an outline of my junk. No one. Not even my wife. Just as I don't want to see your junk. And yes, I give people the look when I see them in just tight lycra. The look. The look that says, really? REALLY?

Flow like water
    I really appreciate well-designed technical clothing. I am also not Adonis.

I wear good quality bike shorts, bib shorts, or liners from Giordana, Sugoi, or Pearl Izumi. I wear other shorts over them. Anything works. Cheap gym shorts work. Cargo shorts work.

The only thing to watch out for is shorts which catch your saddle when you are changing positions. Like TenSpeed said, no one wants to see my outlines.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Aerotech Designs shorts I've found the be better than most of the big name brands and MUCH better than any No-name brands.. went through bunches of both and all but the aerotechs are toast... and I wear the Aerotechs more so they should have wore out sooner..
    Aero Tech Designs Classic Padded Bike Shorts - BLACK

I can't stand Lycra, roadie, fruit bowl showing people .. sorry, but for general everyday riding it's not necessary. it's like walking around in your tighty whities.. the Lycra's are for road racing where every bit of wind resistance matters, it doesn't at all on the trails. If racing I can see it.. if just riding.. cover it, NO ONE wants to see it!!!

I wear the lycra with a light weight pair of sweat shorts (or long sweat pants in the winter) over. Also helps move the sweat (sweat movement works better if there is a layer at the skin that "moves" sweat with out absorption, but if you add an absorption layer over it it'll pull the sweat form your body much more effectively.. try it... take your shorts, put a few drops of water on them, will bead up and sit while slowly soaking in, now take a paper towel and put it on the other side, it'll "pull" the water through if it doesn't you need a better shorts!!)

Also when you ride in woods, the Lycra will tear really easy on branches, twigs, briars and such.. having a layer protecting the expensive padded shorts is just common sense..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Flow like water
    Hey, I just realized that your user name is adonis_abril. I guess you may actually be an Adonis.

Oh, and if you are not a skinny Euro athlete, you should really check the sizes on this stuff. The Italian-made stuff is sized for extremely skinny people. Most mail-order places have sizing charts on the web page. Most of the people I know who are over 14 will have to order Large or XXXL or something to keep from squeeking after putting these on.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Liu Kang View Post
    Another person who is too ashamed and insecure about his body.

There are a lot of people who like to see men in lycra, they're called WOMEN.

Absolutely not true. I have been wearing lycra on the trail for years and I have yet to have it tear on me. On the other hand I wore baggies for about a year and I always had them snag on branches and bushes alongside of the trail. One time it actually caused me to fall off my bike. Needless to say I did end up tearing that pair of baggies I had.

I used to be like you and make fun of people wearing lycra back when I was younger, then I manned up and decided to try it. I will never ever go back to baggies. Lycra is just more efficient, effective, and comfortable than baggies. Try it for once and you will see that it is much better than baggies.

It keeps you cooler, wicks away moisture, drys faster, cuts down wind resistance, and compresses the leg muscles to reduce vibration from the trails and prevent leg fatigue. Lycra is what you and every other person who calls them self a cyclist should be wearing.
    If you've read any of the other dozen or so threads exactly like this you would know that vanity trumps function round these parts and to suggest otherwise is certain doom. I've never met one person who hangs out on trails and has a bunch of people checking them out in their gear. Such is vanity, I suppose.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Liu Kang View Post
    Another person who is too ashamed and insecure about his body.

There are a lot of people who like to see men in lycra, they're called WOMEN.

Absolutely not true. I have been wearing lycra on the trail for years and I have yet to have it tear on me. On the other hand I wore baggies for about a year and I always had them snag on branches and bushes alongside of the trail. One time it actually caused me to fall off my bike. Needless to say I did end up tearing that pair of baggies I had.

I used to be like you and make fun of people wearing lycra back when I was younger, then I manned up and decided to try it. I will never ever go back to baggies. Lycra is just more efficient, effective, and comfortable than baggies. Try it for once and you will see that it is much better than baggies.

It keeps you cooler, wicks away moisture, drys faster, cuts down wind resistance, and compresses the leg muscles to reduce vibration from the trails and prevent leg fatigue. Lycra is what you and every other person who calls them self a cyclist should be wearing.
    I don't like the Bike "baggie" shorts either, I do wear Lycra, and everything you said is true, other than "wicks away moisture" Lycra doesn't wick anything, it doesn't absorb and it breaths (sorta) to get a real wicking property out of lycra you need an absorbing material on the outside to draw the moisture out and away..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    For god sake Lycra is shorts/bids are awesome to confortable to ride the bike with I do trail riding and never have had problem whit them that are resistant and they are paded for protect your guts. One or the best that I have tried in my life are Primal those are great and cool

mtbr member
    For god sake Lycra is shorts/bids are awesome to confortable to ride the bike with I do trail riding and never have had problem whit them that are resistant and they are paded for protect your guts. One or the best that I have tried in my life are Primal those are great and cool. I have tried the baggy pants from primal and are great to.

I'd rather be on my bike
    There are certain times when form does trump function.

Pajama bottoms are very comfortable. I wear them when I am at home at night, watching TV. I don't wear them out to the store though.

I don't care how great a lycra layer is, I simply will not wear them by themselves. You can tell me until you are blue in the face about them, but I will still give you the look at the trailhead on a normal day if I see you in just lycra. If it is an actual race, sure, I understand. Wear only your base layer if that is what you need to do. I have done a few races, and I still have a top layer on.

Picture Unrelated

Pajama bottoms are very comfortable. I wear them when I am at home at night, watching TV. I don't wear them out to the store though.

I don't care how great a lycra layer is, I simply will not wear them by themselves. You can tell me until you are blue in the face about them, but I will still give you the look at the trailhead on a normal day if I see you in just lycra. If it is an actual race, sure, I understand. Wear only your base layer if that is what you need to do. I have done a few races, and I still have a top layer on.
    Your opinion is valid, but what you're missing is that lycra under baggies is inferior to just lycra. I think it's safe to say that most of us choose fashion over function (I'm no exception) but I get the impression that you've never actually rode in proper bicycle shorts before; if you had, you would know that there is no comparing the two. Lycra allows you to ride more comfortably for longer. Lycra is not a base layer unless it is part of a two piece baggy short system and there is a very good reason why it is the predominant cycling clothing choice.

mtbr member
    If you find the right shorts to wear as a top layer, you won't even notice. I do it out of courtesy to everyone else out on the trail. No one wants to see an outline of my junk. No one. Not even my wife. Just as I don't want to see your junk. And yes, I give people the look when I see them in just tight lycra. The look. The look that says, really? REALLY?
    You Meatgazer!

I wear lycra because it works. I don't wear shorts over them because they catch on the nose of the seat, they fall down, and they're too hot. If you want to wear shorts, so be it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Man, this again...

There is a reason you see so many riders wearing lycra shorts; it's because it works and it works better than anything else.
    I have to agree.

I rode this weekend with baggies on saturday and sunday. The ones I wore saturday were ok and on sunday were a pain. Here is the issue. While they all "look better" they restrict movement. On the climbs especially they bind on my legs as I pedal. This ranges from an annoyance at best to a restruction in my climbing power at worts. Plus they tend to hold in more heat so are hotter. Plus there is more weight with them. I can see how if you do more downhill than up that they are more appealing. You don't need the maximim flexibility and don't need the cooling. Plus a good set of baggies can be crash protection.

Anyway I will go going back with my lycra shorts, but the best thing to do is have a set of regular shorts to put on after the ride. When you are on the bike they don't look as dorky as when you are off the bike.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", '06 Rocky Mtn Switch 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    but I will still give you the look at the trailhead on a normal day if I see you in just lycra.
    If your looking at me it is you who has the problem.

Probably drunk right now

^^This^^

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Man, this again...

There is a reason you see so many riders wearing lycra shorts; it's because it works and it works better than anything else. If you're insecure about the size of your concealment, don't wear red shorts. If you're still insecure then ride with a set of baggies with the lycra inserts. Be prepared to spend a bit of money because getting a good quality chamois in those shorts will be money well spent.
    I ride mostly lycra shorts for the same reason my son wears football pads: Because it's the right equipment for the sport.

On pub crawls and casual group rides that will have a slower pace, I'll ride in baggies. Otherwise, it's lycra.

It's going to be over 100 degrees for the next 7 days. Adding another layer makes zero sense.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Probably drunk right now

Worry more about yourself....

Ride what you like and ride what you like.

I prefer riding in lycra, so that what I choose to ride in.

In the summer I'll ride in bibs or shorts. My jerseys are lycra too. In the summer I ride in sleeveless lycra or with jerseys that are 3/4 or full zip.

Other than an occasional 12/24 hour race, I don't race any more.

You're welcome to give me the stink eye. My response will likely be to ask you what I've done to offend you. And when you tell me, please don't get your feelings hurt when I laugh at you.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    for the guys that do not wear an outer layer of any kind

1. What do you do post-ride in the parking lot, convenience store or restaurant?
    2. Do you wear a speedo at the beach?

On really hot days I will wear Lycra only. But for 99% of my rides I wear an outer layer.

- Rob

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

1. What do you do post-ride in the parking lot, convenience store or restaurant?

- Rob
    Change into sweats get in the car and drive to the bar.

Yes but not the small ones; the ones the Olympic guys are wearing this year......I like to snorkel alot on vaction.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Ride what you like and ride what you like.

You're welcome to give me the stink eye. My response will likely be to ask you what I've done to offend you. And when you tell me, please don't get your feelings hurt when I laugh at you.
    that's great. I just imagined that conversation, you win hands down.

" what's your problem?"
    "ugh, lycra? I can see your junk pretty clearly in those shorts. I mean...if I look...uh, I didn't look, but I mean..."
    "yeah, sure. rock and roll buddy."

- Rob

mtbr member
    I have been wearing liners with regular gym shorts. I don't have any comfort issues this way and don't plan on sporting the tights anytime soon.
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 07-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Picture Unrelated

On really hot days I will wear Lycra only. But for 99% of my rides I wear an outer layer.

- Rob
    1. Get changed. Are you really that lazy?
    2. Do you go to the beach to exercise or do you go to the beach to sit on the beach? If you were a swimmer, you'd wear speedos because that is appropriate. If you go to the beach to run, you would wear running shorts because that is appropriate, if you go to the beach because your have an enormous... something something something... then you would probably also wear speedos.

Personally, I can keep my eyes off of other people's "goods" so if someone I'm riding with cracks a beer in the parking lot while wearing their tighties then who gives a crap? And if your self esteem is so fragile you can't walk into a convenience store with cycling attire on then don't wear it; perhaps you can get a cycling moo-moo which you could throw in your camelbak just in case you need to cross a street in the middle of your ride.

This really is the funniest display of pure idiocracy I've seen in a while. People defending, with absolutely no valid arguments, the merits of not wearing the proper attire while cycling. I don't wear lycra on almost any of my rides, but you won't see me out there giving the stink eye to people who are nor will you see me on the internet trying to browbeat others into my wrong opinion that people shouldn't wear what they want or wear what is appropriate for the task.

Anyway, carry on; picking on idiots on the interwebz keeps me from having to do it at work.

Probably drunk right now

Well...

- Rob
    Have you ever participated in a sport that required specific equipment? Have you ever seen a football player in a bar after a game in pads and football pants?

1. I'll remove my cycling shorts and change in to shorts or I'll pull shorts on over the shorts, depending on the situation.

2. No. But I also don't really swim. If I was swimming for a purpose (competition, passion, training, etc.) then I would likely wear the appropriate, sport specific clothing.

NeedGod.com
    I rode at a ski resort over the weekend. As I was walking up to the lodge to get a map, I passed a gaggle of girls who were waiting for their float trip bus to leave. They were all talking but as soon as I strutted up in my tight-fitting lycra shorts, they all shut up, turned and stared at me in awe. That's right, ladies. Take a picture because your boyfriends aren't filling out their shorts quite like this, are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast