1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Bikes have arrived.

Trek Stach 7 they did not have time to fit me because the place was closing. I have been on two quick rides and they were both painful. I though this would be easier, I also did not pick the best trails the first night. My ass is killing its like sitting on a rock, and the outsides of my hands hurt during the ride.

My wifes bike is a Cali SL and the guys at the shop wanted to take it home for the weekend. No pics yet.

Oh why can't I bunny hop like I did with my PK Ripper when I was 12?

mtbr member
    It's a nice bike. You'll get it dialed in. Take it back to see if the LBS folks can help you with adjustments. It may be that raising the handlebars a bit will help, or a minor seat adjustment could ease the pain. It'll take some time to get it and your body set up and then I bet you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    +1 to what MSU says.

What are you wearing for pants? Get something with a chamois and wear it without underwear.

Nice bike BTW. I love my Superfly AL Elite.

And your wife's Cali is nice to. My wife is 5' even and rode one at a factory demo -- it fit her perfectly. We want to get one when we can afford it.

She is a surprisingly good climber on her 14" 4300 WSD which weighs a lot more than mine. She will be able to really tear up on a lighter bike -- something that isn't 1/3 of her weight .

We will probably wait and see what they come out with in '14. I wish they had the Lush in hardtail or the Cali with the "Platinum"-series aluminum frame. It is looking like she might get serious about it, so maybe even carbon.

Oh yeah, one other thing -- if you haven't already, go tubeless. We've done mine and my son's X-Cal. It is totally hassle-free and works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Looks like my first two upgrades will be tubeless, and flat pedals even though I just bought these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ptex View Post
    My ass is killing its like sitting on a rock
    I am a noob myself. Just riding bikes at the lbs I found the seats to be a pain. So I have been looking into the padded mountain biking shorts. The ones I have seen in the stores were not cheap, but should save your butt.
    Last edited by DallasMelMan; 05-06-2013 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check out eBay. You can get a whole jersey and pants kit for about $40. I got three sets and like them all.

You can also get just shorts like these:
    Cycling Bicycle Bike Underwear Shorts Pants Silicone Gel Pad Cushion Men Women | eBay

I usually use them for padding in winter to wear under tight-fitting black winter long johns that Wife gets on sale from Wal-Mart, Lands' End and the like. Or if going for a quick ride will put them under my baggy shorts.

Speaking of baggies vs Lycra, I prefer tight-fitting for safety reasons. I went over the bars once when heading down a steep drop because my pants crotch caught on the nose of the seat and I couldn't move back enough. Wife pulls the Lycra look off a lot better than I do, but safety first you know.

Note that the sizing runs small on most of the Chinese eBay stuff -- don't be surprised if you are an averaged-size guy and need XL or something. Also, most sellers will mix top and bottom sizes. If they don't state so on their page, ask them.

Wife got Pearl Izumi pants from Amazon for about $80. Very good quality and fit well. She has some stuff she ordered off Ebay too, they are OK but not as good as the Pearl Izumi. However, they are a lot better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You will toughen up after a few rides. It takes a few miles. You will put less of your weight on the seat as you get in shape from those same miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seat feels better now that I figured out that sitting is not the way to go. I stand most of the time until I start to get tired.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You've got a lot of seatpost showing. How tall are you and what size is that bike? I know the Stache frames have seat tubes that are shorter than what the size of the bikes says it is, but that looks like a LOT of post showing. I hope they sized you correctly.

If you're mechanically inclined, tubeless might be a good upgrade, but not really necessary at this point unless you get a lot of thorn flats. I don't know that I would recommend it right away.

'Bicycle butt' is going to plague you for a bit until your butt gets used to riding. A different saddle might help, but it is normal for it to hurt at least a little until you get used to riding regularly. Don't get one that has lots of squishy padding. It's more about the right shape than the padding. A Brooks leather (with no padding at all) saddle will make a knocking sound if you hit it with your knuckles, but they are very comfortable for many riders. A bit heavy for MTB unless you just want one, but I use it as an example to illustrate that it isn't about the padding. You may like one that is a bit wider though (something in the 143mm to 170mm width range). Saddle hunting can be a long expensive search. Some shops will have saddles you can try first, but don't expect to totally eliminate bicycle butt until you get some miles and rides under you.

Quote Originally Posted by ptex View Post
    Seat feels better now that I figured out that sitting is not the way to go. I stand most of the time until I start to get tired.
    You shouldn't be sitting all the time, especially when descending, but standing a lot during climbs isn't the most efficient way to climb.

mtbr member
    ^^^

I agree that does look like a LOT of seat post showing. Caught my attention right away.

Also definitely give it a little more time before deciding right away to change the saddle. I myself getting back into riding a few years ago, had to go through 5 saddles to find the one that fit me.

mtbr member
    I would use a 400mm post if I had that much post showing. ( I have a lot of post showing too and use a 400mm post, my 350mm post was close to the min insertion line)
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.