1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Bikes in the $2000 - $2500 range to consider?

I've been riding my old clunker for a while now, and its time for a new bike...
    Before I go any further I thought I'd ask for advice and opinions, as there's such a wide array of bikes to choose from out there.

My budget is (ideally) around to $2,000.

I'd originally considered a Specialized Carve Pro as it was in my price range, but the recent mention on mtbr.com of the Foes F275 (http://reviews.mtbr.com/foes-f275-ph...a-trail-design) has piqued my interest. At $2399 however, its at the top of my budget...

...What I don't want to get into is, if I spend just $X amount more on this, and $X amount on that, I can have... and before I know I've added hundred(s) more to the price.

So what other bikes should I be considering?

I'm currently riding the local trails in Orange County, S. Calif

I'm 6' 2", so I like the idea of 29", but I'm not adverse to 27.5 (like the Foes F275) - but don't mind staying with 26

If anybody has any suggestions for bikes I should be looking at (and test riding) in the $2,000 to $2,500 range, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!

Probably drunk right now

All of them..

Quote Originally Posted by swerverider View Post
    I've been riding my old clunker for a while now, and its time for a new bike...
    Before I go any further I thought I'd ask for advice and opinions, as there's such a wide array of bikes to choose from out there.

I'd originally considered a Specialized Carve Pro as it was in my price range, but the recent mention on mtbr.com of the Foes F275 (http://reviews.mtbr.com/foes-f275-ph...a-trail-design) has piqued my interest. At $2399 however, its at the top of my budget...

...What I don't want to get into is, if I spend just $X amount more on this, and $X amount on that, I can have... and before I know I've added hundred(s) more to the price.

So what other bikes should I be considering?

I'm currently riding the local trails in Orange County, S. Calif

I'm 6' 2", so I like the idea of 29", but I'm not adverse to 27.5 (like the Foes F275) - but don't mind staying with 26

If anybody has any suggestions for bikes I should be looking at (and test riding) in the $2,000 to $2,500 range, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!
    The "best" bike for you is the one that you like best. The only way you can determine that is to ride them.

Ride as many as you can in your price range. Buy the one that feels best to you. At 2,000+, you're going to get a good bike. There is no "best" choice, only fanboy opinions.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    The one you ride is the one that's best. Find one you like the feel of under you and ride it like you stole it. That's the answer.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A hard tail like the Carve will get you the best for your budget .
    Last years Scott Scale Expert has come up on ebay in your range or lower.
    You can test a 930, its new 2013 name, for sizing. An XL may be available new as a 2012 at about 2300 or less.
    The other option is a little more difficult to get. The bike that was used to win the Leadville 100 this summer is the just released Grand Canyon CF SLX 29. The 8.9 level would be in your range after VAT refund and getting a friend to ship it to you. Canyon raced it here but doesn't yet ship to NAmer.
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by swerverider View Post

Sorry to be a downer, but that $2,399 is for the frame and the shock, not a complete bike.

Since your're in Orange County, you at least have a load of bike shops within a reasonable radius to check some things out. I've never been there myself, but I've read lots of raves about The Path in Tustin. They have a pretty good selection, and you might check out their clearance bike page. Clicky.

$2,000-$2,500 doesn't buy as much bike as it did 5 years ago unfortunately, but if you take your time, you should be able to get something pretty nice.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been riding the wheels off of this...

jensonusa.com/Cross-Country-Mountain-Bikes/Rocky-Mountain-Element-50-MSL-Bike-12]]Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop[/url]

bought it a few weeks ago and am loving it. I'm in Redondo and ride routinely up in santa monica mtns... It perfect for the trails in so cal...

The Original Suspect
    There is quite a bit out there. And as evasive pointed out, being in SoCal is a plus. You can easily find a 2012 or even a 2011 model year for discounted prices at lots of LBS's. If you do your homework and be patient you will find a great deal.

Good luck!

Vincit qui patitur
    Don't count out FS bikes.
    I'm 6'1" and 230# and now ride a Salsa Spearfish.
    Pedals like a HT (very little pedal bob) and the suspenson takes the edge off.
    It also climbs like a goat.
    $2000 to $3000 range.
    I'm loving mine after riding my HT for a while.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Sorry to be a downer, but that $2,399 is for the frame and the shock, not a complete bike.

Since your're in Orange County, you at least have a load of bike shops within a reasonable radius to check some things out. I've never been there myself, but I've read lots of raves about The Path in Tustin. They have a pretty good selection, and you might check out their clearance bike page. Clicky.

$2,000-$2,500 doesn't buy as much bike as it did 5 years ago unfortunately, but if you take your time, you should be able to get something pretty nice.
    Yep, frame and shock.

There are a few reputable shop in OC check them out, the bike company, and Path bicycle are pretty awesome. I know that Path bicycle has good deal on demos and new old stock models.

For the money Giant Trance X is a great choice and well within your budget, if you would not mind blowing it a little then the special blend Ibis Mojo would be my top choice at $2750. Give them all a test ride or demo ride, pick the one that fit you and your riding style.

mtbr member
    Thank you everybody for your input, especially if you mentioned a specific brand/model. Looks like I have lots of test rides ahead of me. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you can build a bike, here's something to consider

$1400 for Niner Rip 9 frame & fork combo @ jenson
    $500 for a set of stans wheels (cheaper if you can find used or want something different)

That leaves $600 for everything else, which could probably get you SLX or X9 components if you shop around.

ready to ride
    I've seen all kinds of deals around locally and on the Internet. Al tallboys and al tblts. Can't remember the exact model but I have seen several Fs Scotts that are sweet for around $2000.

Test ride and ride some more
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I love my Trek Superfly AL Elite. I tried several brands and really liked the way the Trek 29ers handle. Super stiff and light frame, and has good-quality components.

Superfly AL Elite - Trek Bicycle

I have a 2012 model, which listed for around $2250, $100 less than this year. I had a $100-off coupon from a Trek factory demo, and the dealer discounted $150.

You can probably get $150 off the list price.
    Last edited by DennisF; 12-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would recommend a test ride on an SC Superlight 29 FS or Highball HT to throw those into the mix in your price range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scfast View Post
    i would recommend a test ride on an sc superlight 29 fs or highball ht to throw those into the mix in your price range.
    +1!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Although neither of these bikes are "test" rideable, I have 2 recommendations

1) Competitive Cyclist BMC TE29/SLX $1200
    2) Salsa Horsethief 29 FS - $2100 from Universal Cycles

Go to your local bike shop and test ride to see if a 29 is something you like (with or without FS) and then I'd take a chance on either one of these. The BMC I think is the best 'value' bike in that you get an Recon fork, SLX parts and disc brakes...heck you even have a little money to do some minor upgrades and still be very much below your intended budget.

The Salsa is really nice..Fox fork, SRAM x7ish parts. Not sure how the longer wheelbase rides but if you really like full suspension, this is well regarded.

Either way, both bikes have enough quality parts you should not feel major upgradeitis

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The couple of bikes you mentioned are totally different types (one is a light, hardtail XC machine, the other a 6" trail/all mountain FS bike). I think it's a good idea to narrow down the style of riding you want to do and then the type of bike that best suits that style of riding. No one can decide that for you.

I think you can get a nice setup for your budget in any style of bike, especially this time of year when shops are clearing out last year's models. If you do decide on a trail bike (5+" full suspension), I would suggest looking at the Santa Cruz Nickel deals on Competitive Cyclist (they currently have full X9 builds for $1999). I just bought one with a couple small upgrades, but it's a really great setup for the price stock. Someone else mentioned the Giant Trance X, which is also a great bike for the money. The new for 2013 29" version of the Trance X 29er 2 retails for only $2750. Snagging a 26" 2012 in your budget shouldn't be too tough.

For XC bikes, you'll generally get higher level components for your money on a hardtail, but you can still get a nice FS build on your budget as well. Someone mentioned Scott - they're typically high value builds in my opinion. The Scale is their XC hardtail and the Spark is the FS XC rig. Trek's Superfly is another great XC option. The Superfly 100 AL would probably be within your budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

similar dilemma

, I have a dilemma, I am a beginner and looking at a full sus bike for around 1000, I have two ideas at the moment and I would appreciate any comments from any more experienced riders. The two bikes are;

2012 Giant Trance X4 or Diamondback Sortie 1

Any ideas?....

Many thanks from a confused newbie!

Graeme

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Can you test ride/demo any of these? I'm sure your LBS would hook you up so you could see what you really like. Then, go with that one!

Bicycle Radical
    I've had my eye on a Santa Cruz Chameleon for a little while. There are a few builds available which fall into your price range.

Santa Cruz Bicycles CHAMELEON
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    also 2013 Stumpy HT Comp runs $2200 I believe.

Can always pick up something like a 2013 Carve Expert and throw some wheels on it/etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello, fellow noob to the forum here but been riding single track stuff since I was a kid. I'm looking to upgrade as well so thought I'd drop my 2 cents here. I've got a Specialized Rockhopper that has served me very well for the past four years. But I'm also looking for an upgrade in the $2k range. I've looked at a lot and have gone back and forth for awhile but have settled on the Trek Stache 8. When comparing to Specialized, Giant, Salsa, Transition, etc., it seems this is the best "bang for your buck" single-track bike available in this price range. It gives you the best components for the money plus comes with Fox's CTD 120mm front fork which I'm pretty stoked about. I've got one earmarked once my LBS gets them in and it's looking like first part of February. Hope this helps and feel free to shoot holes in my thoughts/findings, there are tons of people on here a lot smarter than me!

Spencer