1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is this bike worth it?

On Craigslist I found a 2008 Rocky Mtn Slayer SXC TEAM for $925. I think I can bargain him down to $825. I couldn't find it on bike blue book.com. It looks like it's been upgraded. My current bike is a Yukon FX 2012. It's for beginners.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/4423061838.html

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What kind of riding are you going to do? What kind of trails are around you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Single trac/trail, a little bit of dh, nothing serious though. I want to get into enduro

Rogue Exterminator
    That is a few miles from me...FU, I am going to buy it for myself.

Actually it is a few miles from me but I am not going to buy it.
    It does look like a decent deal but it is a lot of suspension if you are not going to use it.

Bicycle Blue Book - Used Bikes
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can't say that it's the right bike for everybody, but as far as being worth the asking price, making positive assumptions about running condition, hell yes. That thing looks like a barrel of laughs for the right rider. Hell, if it was closer to me, I'd consider buying it just for parts. Might be a bit more on the 'freeride' than 'enduro' spectrum; be a party on the descents for sure.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't push that GIANT Yukon FX too hard. I snapped the chainstay on the drive side right at the weld on a 2012 and two 2013 models. I still have the bike; but use it as a loaner for friends and family who aren't nearly as agressive riding as I am.
    I have some professional welding training and it is apparent to me that they set the robot welder up too cold and did not get complete penetration of the joint. You can actually see the weld laying on top of the tubing where it fractured.
    Like you, I went shopping for a used performance bike that could take the abuse I wanted to give it; and found a 2006 Santa Cruz VP-Free freeride bike. It's heavy but I no longer worry about the bike letting me down.

Good luck, hope you find a great deal.

mtbr member
    That is an awesome deal for that bike. I love Rocky Mountains. The Slayer is their All-Mountain line. The newer Slayers are labeled Enduro bikes.

mtbr member
    Is a long travel all mountain bike, grab it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its a few hours away from me, I know I should email him some questions about wear and tear, but should I ask him anything more than about the:
    Drive train, fork and shock condition, brakes, and cracks in frame?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk