1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    207
    Hmm, I just can't really find anything for around $200 thats decent. The closest is the XC30 fork. My mate just got a new bike - 2007 specialized stumpjumper - the forks are Fox Talas 32's. Those are the best forks I've ridden, so much smoother than my RST's and other Suntour XCM's I've ridden.. Is it even possible to get something similar to those forks for a $200ish budget?

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    207
    Also I've found something 'weird' with my forks.. Even though the travel is 100mm - says on the fork itself, when measured with a ruler, it comes to about 136mm travel. Does this mean I've (in theory) been riding on a 135mm fork even though the travel is only 100mm? So I could just put a 130mm fork on there and be fine with it..

  3. #28
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,559
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1 View Post
    Hmm, I just can't really find anything for around $200 thats decent. The closest is the XC30 fork. My mate just got a new bike - 2007 specialized stumpjumper - the forks are Fox Talas 32's. Those are the best forks I've ridden, so much smoother than my RST's and other Suntour XCM's I've ridden.. Is it even possible to get something similar to those forks for a $200ish budget?
    Not at retail. Probably not used, either. Fox forks are very well regarded, and seem to EBay for a lot, maybe more like $400ish.

    Your travel measurement - what did you actually measure to arrive at it?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Marzocchi Marathon LR for $190 at Bluesky.
    Solo Air and 100mm (80mm/120mm) with spacer adjust.
    Last edited by Bataivah; 11-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.

  5. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Not at retail. Probably not used, either. Fox forks are very well regarded, and seem to EBay for a lot, maybe more like $400ish.

    Your travel measurement - what did you actually measure to arrive at it?
    I just picked this up for $400....probably doesn't fit for OP but not a bad deal nonetheless.

    Rockshox Revelation XX WC Da Fork 2011 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    It'll mean I'll have to make an adaptor to fit the tapered fork on my bike.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Not at retail. Probably not used, either. Fox forks are very well regarded, and seem to EBay for a lot, maybe more like $400ish.
    Yea, most for $200 usually have the steerer cut too short : (

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I just picked this up for $400....probably doesn't fit for OP but not a bad deal nonetheless.

    Rockshox Revelation XX WC Da Fork 2011 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    It'll mean I'll have to make an adaptor to fit the tapered fork on my bike.
    That's a a sweet fork for sure! I'm thinking the steerer is Aluminium and not carbon?
    Like they misprinted the specs maybe? Idk though.

  8. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    That's a a sweet fork for sure! I'm thinking the steerer is Aluminium and not carbon?
    Like they misprinted the specs maybe? Idk though.
    All RS WC (World champ) versions of forks come with carbon steerer and crown. Pretty decent deal either way. Lets see what arrives in the mail.

    ....would have been better with a 15QR but that's $200 more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •