mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Bike tips for a BMXer

I'm looking for a new bike and need some help. I've ridden BMX for a long time, and take my hardtail out atleast a few times a month so I'm pretty comfortable on a bike, but I'm looking for something new. I'm looking for a full suspension, trail/all-mountain bike. Right now I'm leaning towards 29' wheel because I'm pretty tall (6'1), but I could do smaller.

I actually have a park near me that has a lot of downhill trails, but also cross country ones so I'd need something to really be able to do both. Maybe leaning toward downhill.

My budget is 2,000$ Obviously I wouldn't mind going under that but I can't go too much over.

What are your suggestions? I don't mind buying used if I find a good deal, but what models should I look at?/Test ride

If I'm breaking an rules, please let me know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My 2 cents is that you won't like riding trails on a downhill bike. You will end up doing hike-a-bike on nearly every climb. As it was once explained to me: If you want to dive, you must decide between buying a parachute and helmet and buying fins and a mask and snorkel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    My 2 cents is that you won't like riding trails on a downhill bike. You will end up doing hike-a-bike on nearly every climb. As it was once explained to me: If you want to dive, you must decide between buying a parachute and helmet and buying fins and a mask and snorkel.
    I really won't be doing too much downhill. The trails we have are single back trails that are pretty much normal, but during the downhill sections they're really well developed. So I want something to have some fun there