1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Bike tips for a BMXer

I'm looking for a new bike and need some help. I've ridden BMX for a long time, and take my hardtail out atleast a few times a month so I'm pretty comfortable on a bike, but I'm looking for something new. I'm looking for a full suspension, trail/all-mountain bike. Right now I'm leaning towards 29' wheel because I'm pretty tall (6'1), but I could do smaller.

I actually have a park near me that has a lot of downhill trails, but also cross country ones so I'd need something to really be able to do both. Maybe leaning toward downhill.

My budget is 2,000$ Obviously I wouldn't mind going under that but I can't go too much over.

What are your suggestions? I don't mind buying used if I find a good deal, but what models should I look at?/Test ride

If I'm breaking an rules, please let me know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My 2 cents is that you won't like riding trails on a downhill bike. You will end up doing hike-a-bike on nearly every climb. As it was once explained to me: If you want to dive, you must decide between buying a parachute and helmet and buying fins and a mask and snorkel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    My 2 cents is that you won't like riding trails on a downhill bike. You will end up doing hike-a-bike on nearly every climb. As it was once explained to me: If you want to dive, you must decide between buying a parachute and helmet and buying fins and a mask and snorkel.
    I really won't be doing too much downhill. The trails we have are single back trails that are pretty much normal, but during the downhill sections they're really well developed. So I want something to have some fun there