mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Which Bike thread; Cannondale Trail 5 or HR Sport Disc

I was set on buying a NOS Rockhopper until the shop ran out of my size, damn. I really liked the Rockhopper as the Dart 3 (SL) fork, though not great, seemed better than anything else I was looking at; also the frame seemed at least worthy of a few upgrades.

Budget is $600.

Looking at:
    Cannondale Trail 5 - haven't found much on this model as it's new for 2011
    Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc
    (Gary Fisher Marlin is also available I suppose)

To me the Cannondale frame seems a bit nicer, and the Shimano components also seem a little nicer.

The Specialized has better brakes and is more proven.

Honestly, I've done a few test rides and nothing screams out at me; most mountain bike feel the same in 10 minute rides around the block.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I like the Cannondale Trail 5, I had a budget of $600 and saved up a little more and ended up spending $840 on a SL 3.Was shopping around and really like the Cannondale better than the Specialized. In my opinion, I think you get more money's worth and better looking bike. I will be picking it up this weekend, but know I feel like I should have saved a little more to get the 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cannondale Trail 5 I was also connsidering this bad boy. But LBS was at $500 which was a great deal. But I do maily street riding. And Once I rode the Cannondale Quick CX 3 it was game over twice as fast, several pounds less weight everything I wanted. $600 better components etc.

I was gonna jump on a Trek 4500 Disc in silver for $700 even lighter weight maybe 26lbs or less Hydralic Brakes top brand compnenets on higher end lines.