1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bike storage solutions

What are people using out there? I need to get organized. We have 3 adult mountain bikes, one a carbon frame, all with disc brakes (2 hydraulic, 1 mechanical), a road bike, and two kids mountain bikes with caliper brakes.

I don't like the idea of hanging bikes by the front wheel, I don't think it's good for them, and can screw up hydraulic disc brakes. Alot of floor stands seem like they wouldn't work well with disc brakes.

I can't think of a solution, but am banking on the creativity of others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Either roof or floor. Put the one's you don't use very often on the roof racks. A simple hook/pully system would be the best for the roof. Bike stands for the floor are available with space for discs, especially if you make it yourself. It sounds like you have a lot of bikes, so a blanket "use this brand/style" won't work.

I made a custom floor rack that can hold 2 bikes and I can use it as a work-stand. Just 2x4s with a 4x4 as the center beam.

mtbr member
    I built a wall mount in the garage for my bikes, from pieces of 1" x 1" wood. It supports the bike under the top tube and under the chain stays. I used old inner tube over the wood to prevent any scratches on the frame.

The mounts are easy to make, just a piece of 1" x 1" wood as a mount, with a bracing piece at 45 degrees underneath to support it. Two needed for one bike. Held on to wall with metal brackets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    >and can screw up hydraulic disc brakes
    hmmmmm

I use j-hooks, $1 or less per bike.

mtbr member
    I don't see either, how hanging a bike by the front wheel could affect disc brakes in any way.

mtbr member
    I use the LeHigh Crawford flip up storage rack that works pretty well. The only minus is, that I had to use concrete screws to mount them onto my wall in my garage, but they work pretty well for the price.

Amazon.com: LeHigh Crawford Flip Up Storage Rack #FSR13: Home Improvement

mtbr member
    Hang them up from the back wheel instead? I always hang ours from the back wheels as I think that weight on the fork/headset can't be good for a bike hanging by the front tire. Never occurred to me brakes might be an issue. I have brakes of all kinds hanging up. J hooks into ceiling beams work for us.

Bike storage solutions-image.jpg

I don't hang up my heavy bikes though(Pugsley & cargo bike) mainly because I can't lift them up there!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by betheriver View Post
    What are people using out there? I need to get organized. We have 3 adult mountain bikes, one a carbon frame, all with disc brakes (2 hydraulic, 1 mechanical), a road bike, and two kids mountain bikes with caliper brakes.

I don't like the idea of hanging bikes by the front wheel, I don't think it's good for them, and can screw up hydraulic disc brakes. Alot of floor stands seem like they wouldn't work well with disc brakes.

I can't think of a solution, but am banking on the creativity of others.
    Your hydraulic brakes aren't going to be hurt by hanging the bike from a hook. I've used j hooks in the walls in the garage as well as vertical poles that hold two bikes. Right now I've got one of these in the dine in kitchen area by the back door:
    XPORT Off the Wall Storage Rack - Indoor Storage

You can get bike hoists for $20 or so any day of the week if you don't mind them hanging from the ceiling (not everyone has the ceiling height to do that). J hooks along the garage wall are going to be the most space efficient as you can alternate front and back wheels to get the bikes close together, placing the hooks high enough that you can store things along the wall under the bikes.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Interplanetary Poultry
    Nakedbabytoes: is the weight that isn't o.k. for the front of the bike somehow okay for the rear hub?

Bear in mind that you're putting far more force into the front end just by hitting the brakes than what the weight of the bike will exert via gravity.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    No, not the hub on the wheel but the head tube junction & headset itself having the whole bike's weight at a weird angle instead of straight down. It kindof makes a pivot point and usually at the pivot contains the most stress being applied. I wasn't comfortable with that stressor vs when the rear wheel hangs it straight downward instead, directly from an area(rear dropout) which is meant to handle that weight and stress.
    Just my comfort level and explanation of why front vs rear. I never said front wasn't okay. I have and would hang a bike from the front wheel before. Bikes can handle a whole heck of a lot of more stressors than hanging up in a garage
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by betheriver View Post
    and can screw up hydraulic disc brakes.
    Only if there was Air in the system to begin with and in that case, they needed to be serviced anyway.

I hang all of mine but the one I use the most, by the front wheel from the ceiling. I keep the other leaned against the wall in a spare bedroom.

how many shops hang how many bikes in the back from either the front or back wheel (or alternate them so they can be packed into less space)?

It honestly doesn't matter. Brakes, stress on the head tube, whatever. J-hooks for cost-effectiveness. I'm going to be installing some in the rafters of the basement in my new house for bike storage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    I don't see either, how hanging a bike by the front wheel could affect disc brakes in any way.
    It can't, I am doing this for years. My disc brakes are fine...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what about carbon wheels and wheel hooks? anyone have any opinions about that?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Yes, that's fonetic
    It's actually better to hang a bike with front suspension from the front wheel (again, there is absolutely zero chance of that adversely affecting the head tube/headset unless you're also using it to do pull ups), as it keeps the seals lubed. As long as you don't use bare metal hooks with sharp edges, carbon rims won't be affected any differently than aluminum ones.

I eat cats
    I hang mine on the wall, from the front or rear tire, using a hook and a tray that came with it for the other tire to set in so it doesn't mark up the wall. if your hydraulic brakes have issues or your suspension fork leaks from hanging your bike then you are doing it wrong, bike maintenance that is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Been using J-hooks forever, no issues hanging them from either the front or back wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My local REI hangs all bikes, not on the sales floor, upside down from both wheels. It looks like they had custom racks with J hooks built for this.

mtbr member
    I hang 10 bikes in my garage from a long piece of pipe hanging about 12" from the ceiling. The bikes hang from the front of the seat, similar to the Feedback A-Frame rack you see at races.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

mtbr member
    I use to store my bikes hanging upside down from two J hooks. What I realized is that when you're ready to ride, you'd just need to give the brakes a few pumps since the fluid just runs out of the caliper.

Yes, that's fonetic
    If your fluid "just runs out of the caliper" the system isn't bled properly. It's a closed system full of fluid, so if there's air in the system it will migrate to the highest point. What you're doing is pumping the piston at the lever and moving the air down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

storage solutions

Well idea of hanging your bikes does not seem good either to me also because it can damage the critical parts. If you are planning for short term storage you have the option of storing it in self storage facilities which offers excellent storage solutions. You can store it on yourself with proper arrangements such as Climate control and fire proof atmosphere. Check your available options which suits perfect for your kind of storage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have to agree with the it won't hurt them at all, all the bike shops here hang their bikes, the ones out on display are in an upright rack but for rear shop storage they all hang the bikes. The front bearings take a **** ton more abuse from riding then anything thats going to happen to them just hanging there. For disk brakes as it has been stated are a closed system, no matter the angle they will work unless not properly bled. These bikes are built tough or they wouldn't last out in the real world, hanging isn't going to hurt them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdpapas View Post
    Well idea of hanging your bikes does not seem good either to me also because it can damage the critical parts. If you are planning for short term storage you have the option of storing it in self storage facilities which offers excellent storage solutions. You can store it on yourself with proper arrangements such as Climate control and fire proof atmosphere. Check your available options which suits perfect for your kind of storage.
    What critical components?

I've been hanging my bikes upside down for the past 5 years. Currently I have 2 road bikes, 2 mountain bikes, 2 kids bikes and then two more friend's bikes and a frame and a few wheels. So I've run out of room, and I've had to drop the front of each bike and hang from the rear wheel.

So there is up to 30# resting on the rim with about a 1/3" contact point. So 90psi? Shoot, my tires are pumped up to 110psi on my road bike. Each hub would normally see 15# a piece sitting on the garage floor. I don't think 30# is going to do anything.

If you have hydro brakes, they should be already bled and no air. So no impact. If you do have problems, then you need to bleed your brakes properly.

Otherwsie, please specify what actual component will be damaged? And please provide an actual occurance of the damage.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    considering that was that poster's first post, I'd assume someone was searching forums for "storage" and decided to help out us lowly riders who never thought "maybe we should put our bikes, which we use as often as possible, into a storage shed where we'd have to take a couple hours to drive there and get it" brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast