1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bike Storage Options

I am in the process of buying a new bike, my wife already has hers, and my two kids have their 18" BMXs. I am running out of room in the garage. I need some ideas/suggestions...

1. Can you hang bikes with suspension forks by the front tire?

2. How do you store your bikes? Pics welcomed...

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in the same boat, anyone? Garage ceiling storage solutions and if certain methods will harm bike?

No good in rock gardens..
    I put some metal hooks up in my shed along one wall, and hang my bikes by either the front or back wheel. I will alternate between the front and back wheel as the hanging point, as I like to have the fork oil make its way to the upper seals when the bike is hung by the front wheel to keep those lubed.

You won't hurt your bike by hanging it by either wheel - been doing it for years with a variety of bikes with a variety of forks and brake setups with no ill effect.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    I made a bike rack against the wall using PVC.

I can't post links yet (below 10 posts) but just google "PVC bike rack" and there are quite a few examples.

Picture Unrelated
    Some forks will leak when they are left hanging by the front tire for long periods of time. So if you're going to store the bike for winter it's best to do it by the back wheel. Short periods of time, either way is fine. I also store some of my bike by hanging them from the saddle from the rafters in my garage.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use these, I don't like hanging mine by the wheels.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    I had one of those in NY.

I have a wall rack now, that takes two bikes. They hang by the top tube. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Lean-Mach...f=pd_sbs_sg_19

A guy I know has some hanging hooks in his garage on a rope hoist system. They hang over the cars. I don't like that system because I think it's a pain to get the bikes down. But that's another option.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are vertical bike racks that might suit you well.

http://www.pricepoint.com/popups/pop...20Zoom%20Image

i don't have this but I too am running out of space and considering this option. This one is from price point for $50.

mtbr member
    Harbor Freight tools has a bike storage rack that is on wheels for 45 dollars. It can hold up to 6 bikes. I would post a link but I can't.

mtbr member
    These bicycle lifts are on sale for $5.00 at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

Bike Storage Options-photo.jpg

The kids bikes are scattered about right now, but I'll be using something simple like the Racor PIW-1R/PIW-1W Pro Wall-Mount Bike Hanger (< $10 each) to hang them on the wall soon.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

catracho in aztecaland
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Some forks will leak when they are left hanging by the front tire for long periods of time.
    Man, that will only mean you have a bad seal. Time for an overhaul.

And if you have a bad seal, better is you find about it this way, instead of allowing dirt get in your fork chambers.

P

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by pabloquintana View Post
    Man, that will only mean you have a bad seal. Time for an overhaul.

And if you have a bad seal, better is you find about it this way, instead of allowing dirt get in your fork chambers.

P
    Absolutely true, but you have to remember that most people will have no idea that the puddle of oil under the bike that they hung up 6 months ago means that they need to rebuild their fork then gasp at the cost of doing so.

catracho in aztecaland

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    then gasp at the cost of doing so.
    If they gasp at it or do not know where the oil is coming from, maybe they shouldn't have an oil damped suspension in their bikes.

Is like having a performance tuned sports car and you do not know how to drive. Will not make sense. Sorry for being that blunt.

P

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by pabloquintana View Post
    If they gasp at it or do not know where the oil is coming from, maybe they shouldn't have an oil damped suspension in their bikes.

Is like having a performance tuned sports car and you do not know how to drive. Will not make sense. Sorry for being that blunt.

P
    I understand what you're saing, but that's simply not the case for either high end sports cars nor bicycles with hydraulically damping. Understanding something is not prerequisite for purchasing it, wether it should be or not. I'd see at least 2 bikes per year that people would bring in obliviously with oil streaming down the fork legs because they stored the bike by the front wheel. 90% of the time we would have to point it out, those people simply did not realize that was some sort of issue.

Long story short, if you're going to store the bike for a long period of time store it flat. If it is hung by the front wheel then you're going to have to check in on it every few weeks to make sure the seals are still holding. In all honesty, those seals are meant to keep the oil from splashing out and not to retain the oil in the system for long periods of time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hang my bike by the saddle. I have 2 bars that come out of my cealing and a bar that spans between the two. So I just pick up my bike and hang it bye the seat. It's the only way I found to store my bike flat while hanging it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found cheap wall hooks at Home Depot. They work fine...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think not knowing how to maintain a suspension fork and not knowing how to ride are two very different things.

One of my teammates is putting the hurt on the Expert Women this season. She has a very nice bike, but barely knows what tires are on it. Luckily, her husband takes care of it, but I'd hardly call her unworthy of a nice ride. If anything, she's more worthy than most of us.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    http://www.sears.ca/product/gladiato...197-GAWUXXCPVK

Click to lock it in, click to unlock it. If you want real advice you need to give us more information. Is the garage complete? Does it have drywall, do you have any wall systems, is it a brick wall all around? If you don't have a wall system and don't want one you can get the one that amounts to the ceiling, it works just as well, most likely better.

http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/...?pageName=claw

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if your garage is complete and has drywall you have to be careful. Putting a screw into a piece of drywall will not hold a bike, you need to screw them into a stud so make sure you have room for it before drilling. Studs are usually 16 inches apart, you can most likely just knock on the wall until you hear a solid sound.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    http://www.sears.ca/product/gladiato...197-GAWUXXCPVK

Click to lock it in, click to unlock it. If you want real advice you need to give us more information. Is the garage complete? Does it have drywall, do you have any wall systems, is it a brick wall all around? If you don't have a wall system and don't want one you can get the one that amounts to the ceiling, it works just as well, most likely better.

http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/...?pageName=claw

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if your garage is complete and has drywall you have to be careful. Putting a screw into a piece of drywall will not hold a bike, you need to screw them into a stud so make sure you have room for it before drilling. Studs are usually 16 inches apart, you can most likely just knock on the wall until you hear a solid sound.
    My garage is finished and just drywall. I fully understand proper anchoring of items hung on a wall.

I am just curious to see what other folks with limited space are using for storage options. This will probably be a Fall project for me; a complete garage make-over. So, I am gathering ideas...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eviltweak View Post
    I hang my bike by the saddle. I have 2 bars that come out of my cealing and a bar that spans between the two. So I just pick up my bike and hang it bye the seat. It's the only way I found to store my bike flat while hanging it.
    Would love to see a pic of this is use...

mtbr member
    Thats what I'm working on now. I moved everything out of the garage, pressured washed and cured the floor was about to get ready to put the Behr garage floor epoxy and paint on when I decided to go for a quick bike ride. I ended up going over the handlebars and skidding my knees, elbos and wrists...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    Thats what I'm working on now. I moved everything out of the garage, pressured washed and cured the floor was about to get ready to put the Behr garage floor epoxy and paint on when I decided to go for a quick bike ride. I ended up going over the handlebars and skidding my knees, elbos and wrists...
    Nice... I just plan to just reorganize the walls, i.e. add peg board, bike storage, yard tool storage improvements, etc. I would love to do the floor, maybe someday...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxkimber View Post
    Nice... I just plan to just reorganize the walls, i.e. add peg board, bike storage, yard tool storage improvements, etc. I would love to do the floor, maybe someday...
    It's really not that expensive. I opted to get rent a diamond grinder and a friend who knows how operate one which cost a bit more than I expected but if you just go straight to paint it shouldn't cost more than 200.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

DynoDon
    If you have Hydraulic brakes its best to keep your bike level, there is air in the system and it will go to the top, if you hang it upside down or otherwise you are asking for problems, bleeding them brakes can be a hassel that is best to avoid..
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry about the cell phone pics.. the pics make the bikes look not very horizontal but they are really flat

We store 5 bikes on the bar and have no issues with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Storage Options-hanging.jpg  

Bike Storage Options-hanging1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast