1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bike Storage

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bike Storage

Hi! First post so be gentle...

Just switched to my first FS bike (KONA Dawg Primo...love it!!) and I'm curious what the verdict is for storing the FS bikes upside down hanging from ceiling? Any issues with shock oil, hydraulic brakes, etc.??

I post too much.
    No issues. Hang up upside down all you want. Just make sure you cycle both the fork and the shock once you put it back rightside up so that the oil moves through the cartridges a bit. It will feel weird for a few minutes but it'll come back to normal.

It's actually better to keep the bike upside down if it will be unused for a long period of time, it keeps the seals in the fork and shot wet.

I post too much.
    No issues. Hang up upside down all you want. Just make sure you cycle both the fork and the shock once you put it back rightside up so that the oil moves through the cartridges a bit. It will feel weird for a few minutes but it'll come back to normal.

It's actually better to keep the bike upside down if it will be unused for a long period of time, it keeps the seals in the fork and shot wet.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, what Snaky said
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    sorry, im new, what exactly do you mean by cycling the fork and the shock? just compressing them a bunch of times or what? i have a hardtail but i keep my bike upside down too (not hanging, just sitting on the seat and handelbars upside down with wheels off to save space, is this bad?).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmay5469
    sorry, im new, what exactly do you mean by cycling the fork and the shock? just compressing them a bunch of times or what? i have a hardtail but i keep my bike upside down too (not hanging, just sitting on the seat and handelbars upside down with wheels off to save space, is this bad?).
    Yes, and as far as I know, no- probably not great for the saddle.
    To the troll mobile, away...