1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Scuffed

Bike size for 8 year old

Hi, my friends kid is 7 turning 8 years old and has the standard heavy 20" wheeled mountain bike, single ring front, 8 speed gripshift, rim brakes etc. He's really keen and has been doing some junior xc racing. What bike size would you recommend for him. He really wants disc brakes, but as well possibly a rear spring (you know how it is). Would an XS frame on 26" wheels be to big. It will be hard to try sizes as it's supposed to be a surprise and the bike shops don't have them that small around here. Or does he need something with 24" wheels. I've seen a Specialized Hardrock disc XS which looks the part but don't know if it would be to big.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My son just turned 9, is 4' 9" and currently rides a 24" Spec. Hotrock A1.

He is going to out grow it soon, so I built him a Trek 4500 with a 13" frame (his big brother's old bike). 26" tires, BB7s, my old fox vanilla fork at 80mm, etc.

The Trek is a 'tad to big for him and the 170mm crank length is a 'tad much. He can ride it, but he could use more stand over. I figure by the time he hits 4' 10" to 4'11" he'll be big enough for it (which could be very soon the way he he is growing).

Given that my kid is in the 90th percentile for height and the little 26" is too big, it is likely your friend's kid isn't big enough for a mtn bike with 26" wheels...unless he is a *really* tall 8 y.o.

He should probably be looking at a 24" mountain bike. I don't know of any 24" that have a rear suspension AND disc brakes. The Ibex 440 has discs, but it is a hard tail. Scott makes a full suspension 24", but it looks like it comes with v-brakes. Of course, he won't wanna' hear it, but he doesn't need a rear suspension or disc brakes

My son's Hotrock A1 has done him well. He is a hefty kid (100+ lbs) and the bike has performed without the slightest of whimper. And, it hits the scales at 24 lbs, which isn't bad for a kid's bike that retails for a little over $300.

If you search, there are quite a few threads out here on kid's 24" mountain bikes like the Hotrock, the Ibex, etc...

Regards.
    Tim

dh1
    mtbr member
    The size bike will depend exclusively on your son's size, however the bike shops can get you close if you go in with his height and riding style information.

I would stay away with fully suspended bikes for kids. They are just not built well and more fluff than substance. A good hardtail can be had for not a ton of cash, and nearly every bike maker builds a good one for this size.

My gut tells me a 8 year old will be on a 24" wheeled bike. Specialized, Giant, Scott, Gary Fisher, Marin, ...they all make good ones.

Weather the boy needs discs, versus "wants" discs...well, that is a debate. Not many of the kid bikes will have disc brakes.

I have four boys, and my oldest started riding small 26" framed bikes when he was 9. He will be 11 next month and has one medium and one small framed MTB. His 8 year old brother is on his second year riding a 24" wheeled Marin Bayview trail.

Edit: my older son has a Rockhopper Sport in 15" frame. It is too big for his younger brother (9 yrs). I don't know if XS is 13" ?...but even if it was, I think the bike would be too big. When he passes 10 years old, the Rockhopper will fit him for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Carver mini - http://www.carverbikes.com

you can get it in 24" wheeled, or a 46'er - 26" front 24" rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    Carver mini - http://www.carverbikes.com

you can get it in 24" wheeled, or a 46'er - 26" front 24" rear
    That's sweet! $400 just for a frame for a kids bike it oughta' be

dh1
    mtbr member
    Here is the new version of the bike that I bought my son when he turned 7. He passed it on to his younger brother when his brother turned 7.

In my family it would fit nicely from age 6.5 ish to 9.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/bi...loyht_kids.php

The link will likely bring up a list. My son's bike is the bayview trail (as mentioned in my earlier post).

Scuffed
    Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm looking for 24" wheeled then. Yeah hardtail is definitely the go otherwise they get to heavy. Cheers.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]