1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bike setup - forks and brakes

Hey!

Took delivery of my new Kona 2+2 XC full suspension bike earlier this week. Love the bike, but really not happy with how its been set up. It was delivered to me as the shop it came from was very far away so I couldn't pick it up and make sure everything was set up correct.

Firstly the shocks have no where near enough pressure in, I dont have a shock pump but i can probably take it in to a local bike shop and have this sorted fairly cheaply.

My biggest concern is the brakes. I have to pull the levers about half way before i get decent stopping power. I have a Cube Analogue 2011 with hydraulic disc brakes and they are so much more responsive. Literally as soon as i pull them i stop!

Not the most clued up on bikes, but does this sound like they need bleeding? Obviously not very happy to have to spend money on setup for a brand new bike

mtbr member
    You need to buy a "shock pump". You need then to adjust, set and check pressures on forks and rear shocks.

Do your brakes have reach adjustment? Have you advanced the pads?
    AVID Brake Set Up
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think they do have reach adjustment yes, not sure what this does though or how to adjust? I haven't enhanced the pads.

I have ordered a shock pump, quite expensive! Looks fairly straight forward sorting the shocks out, just these brakes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should check with the shop that you got the bike from ,some bikes come with a shock pump. Go to the brake maker web site ,it should tell you how to set them up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorted my shock issue out, just bought a pump. Been on the website for setting up my breaks and adjusting the reach hasn't done anything. Followed all their steps with no success. Will be really annoyed if I have to have each brake bled already

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If the reach has not adjusted the problem and there is too much throw in the lever you probably will have to bleed them They might not have been factory bled properly from the start. Ive had experiences like this with Avid brakes, I gave up on them and now just use Shimano SLX/XT.
    Last edited by subsist; 08-14-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typos

Fat-tired Roadie
    I didn't think that was a current model. Closeout?

Try getting the brakes bled.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

I sent an email to the shop that built it for me complaining about the set up. This is what they came back with:

The brakes should not be instant as riding at high speed might cause injuries.

Are they just fobbing me off? I feel like my old bike brakes provide much better stopping power much quicker. As mentioned, i half to pull these levers fairly hard before i lock the wheels.

Really disappointed if this is how these brakes should be set up. If the bike was a year old I wouldn't mind taking it to a bike shop to get them sorted, but it's brand new! I will now have to pay 40 to have them put right.

mtbr member
    "Instant"... no probably not, but that was a dumb response from the LBS. Everyone likes their bike setup a little differently. I wrench for people independent of LBS because of this kind of dumb crap. Bottom line:

1. If you want your bike setup how you like it (I don't blame you)... and want it done on the cheap (again, I don't blame you)... DIY. Learn the stuff. It isn't magic or rocket science. Bikes are simple. Trial and error, not much to screw up.

2. If you want the bike setup FOR you, then prepare to spend some money and go to a reputable wrench. Usually if they work at an LBS, you can talk them into doing your work on the side for $$$XXX.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. A lot of us wrench and buy stuff online because of your exact situation. A lot of times LBS = terrible customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by SCO7TY View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I sent an email to the shop that built it for me complaining about the set up. This is what they came back with:

The brakes should not be instant as riding at high speed might cause injuries.

Are they just fobbing me off? I feel like my old bike brakes provide much better stopping power much quicker. As mentioned, i half to pull these levers fairly hard before i lock the wheels.

Really disappointed if this is how these brakes should be set up. If the bike was a year old I wouldn't mind taking it to a bike shop to get them sorted, but it's brand new! I will now have to pay 40 to have them put right.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Based on your reply, I'm going to do it myself! I've managed to set everything up perfectly for myself so far (apart from the brakes).

I'll look at ordering a bleed kit offline and do a bit of research, hopefully i wont mess this up!