Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Security Advice Please!!!!!!

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  William_Cannon 
#1 ·
Hi just bought my first mountain bike today a used Trek Fuel 90 Disc for 600 I dont wanna lose this bike in anyway and dont want it stolen Im leaving it inside my house will do occasional XC but will also be using it to commute to college and thats where I wanna keep it secured. Does anybody have advice on types of locks locking methods and brands thanks for any help that can be given. THANK YOU!!!!!

p.s. I live in NYC and I hear stories of bikes getting stolen all the time so I'm extremely worried.

#2 ·
u-lock! don't lock it in shady places and don't leave it outside insofar as you can avoid it. lock it when it's inside too! since it's easy to steal a front wheel with a quick release skewer, get a cable that locks on the u-lock and goes through the wheels.

you might find lots of info on the "commuting" forum if you search for threads about locks.

this is helpful too- Lock Strategy

#5 ·
I understand protecting/locking up your bike and that's fine. But honestly I find it FUNNY when people say " lock your bike up even inside your house/apt etc.." I know everyone wants to protect your investment but I just find it hilarious.....sorry just had to get that out my system since I see people say that all the time

#6 ·
I actually used to do that but got over it relatively quickly. Now all of my bikes are in my room with me and my door is locked when I'm out. If you're a college student and live on or near campus, I would suggest walking. I have come out to people gathered around my bike messing with it before and am not a big fan of that. I have also heard of people kicking the wheels and bending the rims on other forums on here. I'm sure it doesn't happen often but my bikes are too important to me to chance it.

#9 ·
There's no such thing as security unless you are riding the ugliest bike on campus. College commute, I'd go with a $50 used bike and keep your mtb at home. Renter and home insurance would be the way to go, post the pic of your bike on the forum it would at least prove the ownership for insurance.

I've got my whole roof rack system stolen in front of my house so College campus is just too easy. Do a search on YouTube there are vid of people stealing their own bike in a crowded place and no one cares.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.