1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Is this bike the right choice?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask your opinion.

I'm buying a new 26" FS bike and I'm pretty much decided for the 2012 Specialized Camber FSR Comp as it's the only FS bike with a lockout option within my price range ($1500 / 1200 / 1000) from one of the manufacturers I consider the best based on my research. The fact that I really dig the design is just a side advantage. However, I weigh 275lb (125kg) and although I've read a lot about the problem of overweight people on MTB's, I'm still not sure whether my weight would present a problem with this specific bike. I'll ride in woods (mostly fairly flat terrain, sometimes roots and rocks) and on paved roads. About 25% of it will be climbing. I'll try to ride at least 1-2 hours every day, or 2+ hours every other day. I'm 6' 2'' (188cm), so I'll probably get the recommended XL size. Among other things, I read that overweight riders should pick bikes with steel frames. This one, however, has an aluminium frame. So my question is - is it a good idea for a guy like me to buy this bike?

Btw, I know that my budget is about the lowest price point for FS's, but I still prefer them over HT's, mainly due to their better comfort and higher forgiveness of mistakes. I'm obviously not expecting any miracles at this price range but I'm hoping it'll still be a solid bike. So my only question is whether it'll hold under my weight.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

P.S.: I hope you don't take in a bad way that I posted the same question on bikeforums.net as most of my Google searches led me either here or there, so I don't know which forum is the best one yet.
    Last edited by MTBGuy125; 04-27-2013 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I weigh 220 and have always used ali bikes, I see no reason it would not hold you. I know most places say around 300 lbs. The biggst thing for larger riders is will the rear shock perform. I am not sure on the weight limit on those. Budget wise the low end camber and high end one will use the exact same frame, just the components will be different. I have also seen way larger guys than you in here on aluminum frames with no issues.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

T.W.O.
    I don't use lock out not even on paved road. If you take the time to transition to FS you don't need to use one. Unless you are planing on racing and you "must have" the lock out, I'd just choose the best bike for the your money. Spech does not bob even when the suspension at full open, but if you are a masher, you have more thing to worry than just the lock out

I'd consider Giant Trance X.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you both for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I weigh 220 and have always used ali bikes, I see no reason it would not hold you. I know most places say around 300 lbs. The biggst thing for larger riders is will the rear shock perform. I am not sure on the weight limit on those. Budget wise the low end camber and high end one will use the exact same frame, just the components will be different. I have also seen way larger guys than you in here on aluminum frames with no issues.
    This is very good to know, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I don't use lock out not even on paved road. If you take the time to transition to FS you don't need to use one. Unless you are planing on racing and you "must have" the lock out, I'd just choose the best bike for the your money.
    I actually owned a FS before (a few years ago, for about the same price) and I definitely felt the difference between the suspension being locked and unlocked, especially while climbing. On a flat surface it wasn't so noticable but at climbing it helped a lot.

Spech does not bob even when the suspension at full open, but if you are a masher, you have more thing to worry than just the lock out
    I'm sorry, I didn't get what you meant by this sentence (English isn't my first language), could you please explain?

I'd consider Giant Trance X.
    That (specifically Trance X3) was one of my candidates as well, but 1) it's a bit more expensive 2) if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have the LO option 3) I don't really like Giant's designs (and although a design shouldn't be a major factor when deciding, if you have a choice, why choosing a bike whose looks you don't like, right? You still have to look at it occasionally. ). But in your opinion, what makes the X3 better than the Camber (and what doesn't make the Camber the best bike for my money)?

Thank you.
    Last edited by MTBGuy125; 04-28-2013 at 03:42 AM.