1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bike Recommendations

Good day, I am looking for a good bike with suspension though I do not plan on going on mountain bike trails. Basically I bike around my area as much as I can - try to make it part of my lifestyle. Currently I ride a fixed-frame Trek 800 Sport that I got used from a friend. My main issue is I am a musician and I would like to do anything possible to keep tension from my wrists and fingers, and a fixed frame bike, especially on bumpy country roads, transfers a lot of those bumps right to your wrists. I do go off road at times, but not on extremely rough areas....so I am looking for a bike with good suspension and of good quality, but it does not have to be a bike that is built for the type of trails some of you might ride on. Thanks, Frank.

T.W.O.
    You can get a 5" travel full suspension and you should be good for most trails. What's your budget?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, I have been to a local bike shop that sells mostly Trek and it looked like most of their bikes were around $400 (roughly) so I was thinking in that area.

If it matters I am 5'8" about 140 pounds.

mtbr member
    If you are not going on mountain bike trails you don't need a full suspension bike.

Things to make sure you get:

1. A bike that is properly fitted for you.(your old trek might be too large or too small of a frame which could cause extra pain/stress)
    2. Good grips that fit well and absorb road vibration. There are many products out there and there is no simple answer on what will be best for you. Check out ESI chunky grips: ESI Grips Chunky Grip Reviews - Mtbr.com
    3. A descent front fork. I suppose for the type of riding you are doing, a fork by SR Suntour would work.

T.W.O.
    Most their bike are around $400? What shop is this A quality front suspension (fork) usually starts at $400 so a $400 for a complete bike with good fork would be near impossible. You may get much better deal buying used, but that requires a lot of research. Older(5-7 years) suspension is not bad as you can have it rebuilt. My 7 year old suspension still kick a$$. It seems like that's your concern, protecting your hands/wrists. What instrument do you play?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fit the bike properly, and decide again if you need suspension. You should have near zero weight on your hands.

Here's an article I like,
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

You could also figure out that the bike's the wrong size for you... but you're already ready to buy a new bike, so no harm done.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think the bike shop used to be specifically trek, but they moved and now I think they may do a little more. Maybe they have more expensive bikes - I was already looking for bikes around $400 when I went in, so I may not have noticed more expensive ones. My price expectation comes from the fact that my brother had purchased a bike with front suspension from a different store last year for around 4 or 5 hundred.

I should be clear, I am not going to be doing mountain bike trails, but riding on roads and sidewalks with perhaps some light off-road riding. I can afford significantly more than $400 though if that is what it is going to take to get a quality bike.

I play piano, organ and trombone at a professional level, and a little flute - I have been saying for quite a while I am going to learn guitar, we'll see about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My brother purchased a Giant with front suspension for $420 last year - it may have been on sale. He does the same type of riding as I do, and so far it has worked well for him...I think he has put about 550 miles on it in the past year.