1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: bike rack

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

bike rack

Ok, I need to get a bike rack for my car ('03 Subaru WRX sedan). I'd love to go roof rack, but I think it'd be too much of a hassle for me because of a few reasons (installation, price, i'm not that tall, I don't want to take the front tire off evertime, etc.). What are some suggestions for some good trunk racks? How much am I looking to pay? thanks so much

ride hard take risks
    I would highly recomend the Sportsworks T2 rack. They have been taken over by Thule though.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/carr...asp?location=3
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    bump for any other suggestions, plus, i had trouble working their site and the car they showed the rack on was a small SUV so i don't know if that would work for my car, anybody else with small sedans and bike racks??

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    Ok, I need to get a bike rack for my car ('03 Subaru WRX sedan). I'd love to go roof rack, but I think it'd be too much of a hassle for me because of a few reasons (installation, price, i'm not that tall, I don't want to take the front tire off evertime, etc.). What are some suggestions for some good trunk racks? How much am I looking to pay? thanks so much
    Thule has some good ones, I have a previous model than this one:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...id=8&sku=962XT

And it's very good.

Yaris has the bones series which, I think, are a little better than the Thule.

Yakima is supposed to be a top brand, I think. Check them also.

I think you would be looking at 100-140 bucks, if you go for the top of the line racks, or 80-100 for middle range.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    I bought the Yakima KingPin4 for $175 or $180 with free shipping. Forgot on what site......but many sites have it for that price.

I bought this over the Thule because 1) Quality is just as good 2) it has anti-sway craddles to prevent the bikes from beating the crap out of each other 3) The arms can be lowered 4) It's cheaper than a comparable Thule model

One warning, DO NOT buy a cheap bike rack like XPORT or other lower end stuff. From reading countless reviews, these either crack in some joints, are unstable sometimes, or the strap system are not secure. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra dollars on a Yakima, Thule, or Saris. All solid racks.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

pronounced may-duh
    Does your car have a hitch? Several of the racks people are suggesting require a hitch.

A trunk rack like the Thule suggestion is affordable and the work well as long as you don't overload them with several heavy bikes. I here Saris makes an awesome trunk rack. The down side of trunk racks is that they do not lock on to the car. And many trunk racks must be removed to open the trunk. So when I had a trunk rack I had to install and remove it before and after ever ride. Also some trunk racks position your bike so that the tires get cooked by your tail pipe exaust.

I prefer roof racks. Yes they cost more and you have to lift the bike up over your head to get it on the rack. But they lock to the car and the bike locks to the rack. Once the roof rack is installed you never have to take it off and it's never in the way. They make carriers for roof racks that do not require removing the front wheel.

My first rack was a thule trunk rack. Cost new 10 years ago was around 50.00 and it worked fine. I upgraded to a thule roof rack off ebay for around 200.00. The roof rack is tons better. Because it locks the bike on I can leave my bike on top of the car while at work and the head to the trails for an after work ride. Also I never have to take the rack on/off. I'm always ready to go. I do remove the front wheel. I may get on of the carriers that let you leave it on. If you do go with the roof rack, watch it going through a drive-thru

ride hard take risks
    Another way to figure what rack to get if you have a $5 bike get a $2 rack. There are some high end racks that are crap also like BVG that clamps the top tube & the bike swings like Tarzan on it. You also should take into consideration how many bikes you will be carrying at any given time, the BVG is a 2 bike with a 4 bike add on, it doesnt fit 2 withoout alot of work & fits 4 in about 45 minutes with lots of rags to protect the bikes. Make shure the rack fits your needs just like a bike our you'll be frustrated whenever you use it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got a $52 strap to the hatch rack. It does work but it's a peice of crap. for the bother it's worth while to get a proper rack + the roof racks can be locked down

mtbr member
    I have heard nothing but great things about the Saris Bones Rack so I am going to get one for my Honda. The 2 bike versions can be found for $100 - $120 usually.

[edit] I rescind my last comments. I don't want my car all scratched up from it. [/edit]
    Last edited by OCAP; 05-03-2006 at 08:48 PM.