mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Bike pulling to the left?

I just bought a 2005 Cannondale Scalpel and am kind of concerned with something: I feel like the bike pulls to the left. When the bike is held upright and pushed forward, the handlebars/wheel flop to the left. Is it normal for a mountain bike to not track completely straight?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Picture Unrelated
    Does it have a lefty? That would easily explain things. Otherwise you probably are just experiencing uneven tension being placed on the bars from the brake or shift cables. Completely normal and you'll never notice it when you're actually riding.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

AZ
    banned
    Whats it like when you ride it ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When I ride I feel like it pulls to the left slightly (I can't figure out if it's just in my head). I can't ride it without hands. I don't know if that's just not easy to do w/ a mtb like this. I know that's not important or anything.

It does have a Lefty, but from what I've read, that shouldn't cause the problem.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by life_generalist
    It does have a Lefty, but from what I've read, that shouldn't cause the problem.
    Yeah, it does. Physics is physics, I'm pretty sure it creates an unbalanced moment force and on some bikes I've rode, you notice it a little. The steeper the geometry, the more I've noticed an effect. Anyway, it's nothing to be concerned with and in a week you won't even notice it. So go out and ride!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

T.W.O.

Look away from the front wheel

Look down the trail, I had the cannondale with lefty fork before. It's wicked but if you keep staring at the front wheel you'd drift that way because that's where your eye look and having the lefty fork create a bit of an unbalance visual. If you don't look at it your brain will compensate for it.

Same thing happen to me when I kept my eyes fixed to the un-dished front wheel. It's offset, but no problem you'd adjust for it.

I Have Cookies
    I've ridden many a lefty equipped cdale and have never had a tracking problem ever! Even when I let go ov the handle bars it tracks straight and true! You must be looking at the fork as you ride or somthing. Try to look ahead of you.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Dirt Deviant
    The wheels could be out of dish, hubs adjusted wrong, and or frame is not straight. I doubt it has anything to do with the fork.
    Make sure the wheel is seated all the way in the dropout.
    How does the rear dish look?
    All the frame pivots tight?
    Is your butt crooked?
    Is one leg shorter than the other?
    Do you have uneven pigtails?
    Is one foot bigger than the other?
    Are you facing north or south?

Personally, I can't ride without hands on the bars for the life of me as I'm too top heavy!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

nocturnal oblivion
    With Lefty's it also depends which side of the equator you're on.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    With Lefty's it also depends which side of the equator you're on.
    Good call. I guess I didn't factor that in. I just thought everyone lives in california like I do.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Members who have read this thread: 0