1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Bike pedal bolt size

Are all pedals the same 9/16 fine thread on the crank? The reason I ask is because the previous owner crossed threaded a pedal on the one side and I need to get a thread chaser to straighten the first couple of threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    One is left hand thread and the other is right hand thread.

T.W.O
    They have different threads specific to each side of the crank. It is a 9/16. Good luck cleaning it up. I have guys at work cross thread them and i usually order the replacement
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

banned
    Sep 2012
    Also depends on the crank. Most 3-piece cranks use 9/16" threads (LH and RH) while one-piece cranks use a 1/2" thread...you'll see this on older bikes and cheap BMX's.

The drive side pedal is RH thread; and the other side is LH thread.

-S

mtbr member
    If you're only going to use this tool once, just have your local bike shop do it. They should have some bicycle specific taps for cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I already had the tool.. I worked in the automotive world in my previous job for 16 years. I have fixed threads before. Just have to use lube and start from the back side of the hole. Working with the good threads to pull your rethreading tool through the messed up ones. Took about 10 mins and now I can start my tool by hand on the other side and thread it with my fingers. Won't know if they will work or not holding the new pedals till I get the new ones. I'll keep you updated after I get the new pedals.. Speaking of pedals anyone like the Speedplay Frogs?

mtbr member
    Do you have a left-hand thread one too, for the left crank?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No I do not I was lucky and only needed the right hand thread one.