1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bike name does anyone do it.

Just wondering do any of you guys or girls name your bikes. Just a question trying to figure out what to name mine it is almost all white thinking Snow white or something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep - the carbon 29er, the carbon 26er, the red one, the orange one, the new one, the old one. Works great.

mtbr member
    I had beauty and the beast but they are long gone, now is the roadie and the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just was thinking if anyone actually named ther bikes like a boat I guess kind of a bonding thing I guess.

mtbr member
    Don't name my cars, guns, or bikes. Kinda ghey IMO but to those that do it...more power to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine came named already, Stumpjumper, Spider, etc. I think it would be confusing to the bike if you changed it's name.

mtbr member
    yeah...when the bike stays upright, it is my sweet heart, but when it fails to remain upright, it instantly becomes that female dog reference
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I can't say I've ever named a bike. I bond with it enough.. Considering the amount of blood I've poured on it, I think its bonded to me sufficiently.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

The White Jeff W

Re: Bike name does anyone do it.

The Yelli Screamy is "the silver bike", the new single speed is "the new bike" but one day I reached for the Kona & said "c'mon Digger, lets go". Not sure where that came came from but it works.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    the relationships are too short usually to learn the names.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    My friend gave my old bike a nickname that stuck, "Bumblebee" because of my color scheme. I refer to my current bike as "Sherman" because it squeaks like a WW2 tank, and I'm slow...

mtbr member
    I never felt the need to

turtles make me hot
    I call my fatbike the Size Queen and my black Chevy Suburban Aretha Franklin.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    My friend gave my old bike a nickname that stuck, "Bumblebee" because of my color scheme. I refer to my current bike as "Sherman" because it squeaks like a WW2 tank, and I'm slow...
    Strangely, in high school we created a character for a video, who was a bee, and we named him Sherman. Not a coincidence I'd expect. lol

For bikes/vehicles/etc, I always wait. I could give it a crazy cool name, like Destroyer of Worlds or Stormageddon, but I find that the names that evolve over time or are 'discovered' fit better than me just trying to assign one.
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29
    IMBA Member
    Team J3 :: http://www.ridej3.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I call mine "The Beast" because even if I say to the wife "I'm just going for a casual spin" I usually end up riding full attack mode. Seems to change my state of mind...possessed even.

mtbr member
    I never felt the need to. I also had never had a serious injury while riding. Until...My red Jamis gave me a broken wrist...then a few years later a dislocated ankle and broken leg. Truthfully, it was my fault. My wife started calling the bike Christine. So that is its name.

My other bike is just the black single speed or the black bike.

Merendon Junkie
    I have never named any of my bikes on any material thing for that matter, but my girlfriend apparently enjoys doing so. She has named all of my bikes. The names are generaly spins on the original model names of the bikes, but she just recently named my newly built inbred, "Moron" because of the goofy looking character painted on the seat tube.

I dont know if her naming everything is a sign of a psichological problem, but shes hot so why should I care.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    the general, the OG, and the purple beast are my three current working bikes...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had a commuter named "Skank." It was a 1970s Japanese bike, from before the yen got so strong they couldn't afford to compete in our bike market.

A friend of mine named one I lent her "Damien" after the child in a horror film. The Omen, maybe? First road bike she put mileage on, she thought it was evil because of the speed and unforgiving (compared to a hybrid, anyway) handling.

Usually, though, just by model or color or brand or something. I also say "my DeWalt."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have not named mine yet but I know certain guys name things cars boats what ever. Just wanted ask and see what everyone else thinks about it thanks for all the replys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Named mine Caroline, no reason why, I name random possessions, I could have ten of the same thing and one will somehow obtain a name. Besides, I get to say "I'm gonna gonna go ride Caroline tonight" it raises eyebrows for the friends who don't know what I'm talking about, just a reason to smile and chuckle.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I call my fatbike the Size Queen
    Kyuss!!! When you take it out do you go on a Freedom Run?

Never named my bikes but when I'm heading out to the trails I might say "ready buddy"? or "ready to go dude"?
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I can't beat the one it came with...X Caliber
    Best Photo Booth in Dallas Fort Worth
    http://www.snapzsnapz.com