1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: bike lock issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

bike lock issue

I have an older Kryptonite u-lock...when it is locked, there's a notch in the outer barrel of the lock so that the key fits in. When you unlock it, the key stays in the barrel of the lock and you can't remove it until you re-lock it.

Someone tampered with my lock at the bike cage at work. My bike is locked up, but the barrel of the lock has been turned a bit so the notch doesn't line up, and I can't get the key to fit in anymore. I have tried using a bic pen to turn the barrel back to fully locked position so that my key will go in, but I only succeeded in shredding the end of the pen.

Is there any hope of getting this thing off, or do I need to have it cut off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Honestly save your time and cut her off

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have tried using a bic pen to turn the barrel back to fully locked position so that my key will go in, but I only succeeded in shredding the end of the pen.
    Use a flat-bladed screwdriver perhaps?

You got your money's-worth out of that lock

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, had the same thing happen to me, use a car jack to bust that thing open if you can fit it in. Good luck man it can be a real beeze to get off.

I like bikes.
    I have the standard cable type. Made by MasterLock and the key comes out even when in unlatched position.
    I wouldnt like the idea of the key needing to be in when unlocked for fear of the key breaking off inside. Maybe there would be no reason to leave it unlatched..I don't know?

I'd spray some lube in there and try to use a mechanics pickset if I was you. They are fine pointed and are very durable. If that's a no-go, cut it off.

You probably already have done something at this point. Let us know what you ended up doing. Thanks
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'd try using something more durable than a pen if possible, screwdriver suggestion sounds like a good one... good luck though sounds like a tough task

Stiff yet compliant
    Happened to me once. I just filed off the tab on the key that goes through the notch.

Quote Originally Posted by portlander View Post
    I have an older Kryptonite u-lock...when it is locked, there's a notch in the outer barrel of the lock so that the key fits in. When you unlock it, the key stays in the barrel of the lock and you can't remove it until you re-lock it.

Someone tampered with my lock at the bike cage at work. My bike is locked up, but the barrel of the lock has been turned a bit so the notch doesn't line up, and I can't get the key to fit in anymore. I have tried using a bic pen to turn the barrel back to fully locked position so that my key will go in, but I only succeeded in shredding the end of the pen.

Is there any hope of getting this thing off, or do I need to have it cut off?
    destroy that lock to get it off if you have to. those things were recalled by Kryptonite not long after the original bic pen video came out years ago. I was working at a shop back then and do not fondly remember boxing up our remaining stock of Kryptonite locks and waiting for the replacements to come in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, I spent some additional time trying to get it off with various pens. No luck at all. Called building maintenance and they tried a bolt-cutter - didn't even scratch the thing. They came back later with a grinder and were able to cut through it with that - still took a couple of minutes and was load as h***.

Makes me wonder how a bike thief can get these off in broad daylight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    car jack works.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by portlander View Post
    Makes me wonder how a bike thief can get these off in broad daylight!
    Same way they got yours off; you'd be shocked at the things people on the street ignore.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?