1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Bike Insurance Question

Wasn't sure where to post this question but the Beginner forum seemed like a good place.

I have been riding for 10-12 years now but just upgraded to a new bike that I consider to be expensive. ($3K)

I bought the extra maintenance plan from my LBS but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with bike insurance. I plan to take good care of the bike like I should but I think I would have a greater peace of mind if I had protection if something breaks or god forbid gets stolen.

I know my renters insurance covers my personal property but I have heard that they can be a nightmare when trying to claim anything on an expensive mountain bike.

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding bike specific insurance?

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I doubt renters insurance would cover broken frame / components while in use considering the inherent risk.

Question is it really worth it -- money you're paying to premiums could be put aside as "bike maintenance" fund. Good question though, interested in hearing replies and general consensus...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    search - several long long threads on insurance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i pay about $30 per year to isure my bike via my home insurance - my bike is covered up to the purchase price and only subject to a $50 deductible - I assume that the bike is only covered for loss due to fire or something and theft. I have been doing this for a number of years now and so far it has been a complete waste of money as I have yet to claim.........

i assume if i was just riding along and the frame broke, that the frame is covered under some lifetime warranty......

mtbr member
    There are companies out there that insure bikes just like a car and you can get full crash replacement, theft, liability, ect. I can't comment on which are good and which are not and how well any of them actually work. I just know they are out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If the frame breaks throw it in the river and claim it haha

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk