1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bike ID Help ? : (Diamondback Javelin?)

Being a complete noob with only $250 max to blow, i went browsing around, and the best i could find was the Diamondback Outlook and Endeavors as well as Ironhorse Estate's around my price range, and your run of the mill crap. This was the best i could find. Can't find any info on the interwebs on this guy.Been reading up on bikes for a day.

So really, what's up with this bike ?

Front forks are Zoom 386's. Derailer is a shimano altus.

So i'm curious as to why i can't find any info whatsoever on my bike.

mtb wipeout king
    probably because it is a box store model (sportmart, sportcheck) and most likely only sold for 250 brand new at sale prices. In fact I remember seeing an add for it in the sportcheck flyer last year on sale for 200

The store only models never show up on diamondback's website. Just a pre warning though, that fork is useless, and probably toast by this point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did you buy this bike already? New / used?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yep i got it at Sportchek since it was a step up from anything i could get. And i checked out what the LBS had . And yeah the bike i got last night, sitting in my garage as seen in my pics.
    Dug around kijiji, didn't see anything super impressive for my budget either.

EDIT: It's new . The fork is still alright. I'm gonna kill it myself personally.
    Last edited by Kayen; 08-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Update :
    So far i'm not liking this bike so far. i may end up just returning it, and repairing my old $60 s*** bike for the time being. What should i do ?
    My beefs: Gears don't shift smoothly. Some of them don't even stay smooth. Brakes no matter how i adjust it keep interfering with the wheels therefore losing speed and making me give more effort to pedal and climb (which it sucks at)
    Tires have no traction when pedalling on gravel paths.
    Forks don't absorb vibrations at all.

What should i do guys?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayen
    Update :
    So far i'm not liking this bike so far. i may end up just returning it, and repairing my old $60 s*** bike for the time being. What should i do ?
    My beefs: Gears don't shift smoothly. Some of them don't even stay smooth. Brakes no matter how i adjust it keep interfering with the wheels therefore losing speed and making me give more effort to pedal and climb (which it sucks at)
    Tires have no traction when pedalling on gravel paths.
    Forks don't absorb vibrations at all.

What should i do guys?
    Personally, I was sorta in the same predicament as you ... I just got back into riding ... my last MTB was a 1989 Giant that I last rode back in 1996! So its been quite some time for me ..... I wanted to spend max $500 on a entry level MTB just get my feet wet again and see how I do ... went to the LBS looked at a bunch of stuff and also searched Craigslist....

I happened upon a 2005 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo for sale in NYC by a nice Korean fellow... He was asking $350 ... Long story short haggled a bunch and got him to give it up for $250 with a brand new Bell Slant helmet thrown in ... I think I got a good deal and I love the bike .... It really is in great shape.... My $250 bought me MUCH more bike than I would have gotten in a department store. Deals ARE out there if you look hard enough ... The other day some guy was selling a 2009 Fisher Wahoo Disc for $300 .... Mint condition. Look around you WILL find something nice for the $$$'s you want to spend.

P.S.

First time I rode the HKEK I realized the brakes were backwards ... Did some investigating and found the fellow bought the bike in South Korea ... Apparently things are reversed there ... It also explains the apparent upgrades on my bike that he said he bought it with ... Has Tektro levers w/ Deore V Brakes, a XT rear derailleur and cassette, Shimano Deore M525 hubs laced to WTB Dual Duty Wheels, and a Deore crankset. Asia market bikes were speced out differently than US bikes. Only thing is my frame (ZR9000) was made in Taiwan (by Giant I assume) rather than the U.S.A. No biggie Going to be upgrading to Avid BB7's later this month since the frame and hubs are already set up for it ....

mtb wipeout king
    Personally I would return it (yes I looked at the same bike that you have and didn't like it either), but they might give you a hard time because it has been ridden now. They are not like an LBS. What I can tell you is that they may let u trade it for an upgrade though such as the Response Sport (alas I don't know your budget).
    http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...ductId=3991388

The bike you have though is still better bike then a Walgoose or CrappyTire

Some of the issues though such as shifting and brakes can be adjusted, they are just a little more finicky on the lower end parts. A proper tune up can fix them, Sportcheck techs are not real bike mechanics in most stores (some stores get lucky as the sportmart I dealt with the tech also worked at the local LBS), thus nothing is adjusted properly.

As for the fork, beware. It won't like water and will bend/twist easily (first 2 were changed because water from riding in the rain got in, and seized them solid).

My bike from Sportmart was a little higher model (hayes brakes and Alivo rear derailer) and I can understand about your budget constraints, but the stock fork (next model up from your zoom, I had the Mode fork ) damn near almost killed me. When I brought it back to the store (got to love warranties lol ) for the 3rd fork replacement in a month they swapped it out for a Dart free of charge. They must have realized that it was going to cost them more on repairs then upgrading parts for free, as I was going to hold them to the one year of parts and service included in the purchase lol.

The tires that are on yours should be basic Kenda's ( very noisy, on pavement ) and yes they suck. But they are cheap to change out, and they also will depend on your choice of riding. I am running Specialized FastTrack LK's on my bike, and they handle nice on most conditions, but they don't like mud at all (mind you most fast rolling tires don't). They excel on Hardpack Single track, and rocks (which is my riding conditions for the area)
    http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/specialized/...52_151crx.aspx

And the biggest adjustment that I learned from Langford after riding with him was tire preasure makes all the difference. My LBS told me to run 50- 70 psi for the riding I am doing. Langford told me to drop it, so now I run 35 and man what a difference on vibrations and grip. I personally like my bike (frame fits me perfect) and that is why I am just going to continue to upgrade as I break parts. Initial purchase was $350 (plus a $50 store credit) but 2 months later they ran a clearance and gave me $100 back. So far the only upgrades I have done are the fork (dart1 store's cost lol ), tires, seat (specialized indie), bars and stem (stock ones were heavy steel), r/d only because I broke it on a rock.
    Last edited by Frosti; 08-07-2010 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Max budget is $280 . So i can't get much with that .
    Also my sportchek apparently is the largest one in Canada, so they have way more bikes than listed on the website. I'll go scout out what they have @ whatcost. But for the time being i'm going to send it in to get tuned. Gotta get the brakes fixed up, outside of that it should be okay. The seat hurts, so i'm putting on my old one .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayen
    The seat hurts, so i'm putting on my old one .
    Try leveling that seat out a bit ... May help abit ...