1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bike Helo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Bike Helo

I am new to Mountain biking. I have a Schwinn S20 and i keep breaking stuff on it i went to SpotsAuthority and im lookin at a mountain bike from Diamondbk called Topana. Is thi good bike? heres th link to it

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Welcome to mtbr.

I would skip it. Their retail prices look off because the response sport (not base response) looks like a better bike. You may want to check your local performancebike store for some gt avalanche models. They have d'backs too, and have good customer service/warranty.

mtbr member
    Gear, avoid department stores. Tell us your budget, and we can recommend some bikes for you from a local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My budget is no more than 700 dollars. whats better the front suspention or full suspntion bikes??

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear_head15
    My budget is no more than 700 dollars. whats better the front suspention or full suspntion bikes??
    That's a little bit like asking 'What's better a car or truck?'

Rather what and how do you intend to use it?

Professional Speed Bump
    $700 won't get you a new full susser so going with a hardtail would be the right thing.

That amount can get you a good used full susser but requires quite a bit of MTB knowledge to pick out the right one, so unless you have someone nearby who knows a thing or two about moutain bikes...you're better off going with a new hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I like doing Jumps Reeper, I have heard different things about both, so whats a rally good hard tail bike??

mtbr member
    if your a dirt jumper I would go with something like this

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...IR261-Fireball

DJ bikes are rugged and inexpensive but may not be the ticket for XC riding.

mtbr member
    If you are doing trails and some jumping get a good hardtail with a good fork, there is a GT avalanche 1 with a Rockshok Tora in your price range. Could do like I did and buy a $560 bike and shop for a deal on a fork, I was able to pick up a really nice air fork for about $100.
    Stay away from big box retailer and go to an LBS or one of the big online bike vendors to get more quality components and better pricing. For $700 you have allot to choose from in quality hardtails, Felts Q620 is really nice, good looking has hydro brakes, and is $699 sticker price. You might be able to get a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper for $700, you could pick up a 2011 Hardrock sport disc for about $650 new.
    If you get a full suspension bike under $1k its going to be heavy and not have nice components on it, you really need to spend $1,400 plus to get a good full suspension bike new.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Leave the sporting goods store and go to a bike shop. I was in one of those the other day and laughed my petootie off. They had more bikes in stock than they had parts. Seemed kinda silly.

If youre lookin' to jump more than ride Id look into somethin' like the Mongoose linked above.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Sports Authority??
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX