1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Which bike to get? I'm a big guy..

Hey guys, I recently got a new job which is a little too far to walk to. Well it's only like 3 or 4 miles but it's overnight and at 6am I don't wanna walk home. So I bought a bike from Walmart.

This one:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-Sch...ndingMethod=rr

It rides pretty well, I'm usually on a sidewalk the entire time. The seat's starting to bend so I have to get a new one. That one's uncomfortable anyway. I'm 6'4" around 295 so I guess I'm not super surprised that the tiny bars underneath the seat are starting to bend almost to the point where my seat's leaning to the left.

I'm not a bike pro or anything but once I get used to this job I want to start riding a lot. I need to lose some weight anyway so I want to be able to ride around town a lot. Is this bike any good?

I was looking at the 29er that Walmart has and I'm sure it's not as good as the bikes some of you guys have but for a starter, would it be good?

Here's a link:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-2...-Bike/12961432

Anyway, thanks for your advice guys.
    I have to leave for work in like 30 minutes so I should be able to respond when I wake up tomorrow. Thanks again.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    I started out a year ago @ 306# & never had a seat bend.

You need to either spend $20-$30 & get a better seat for the bike you now have of buy a better bike that willhahve a better saet to start with.

If you buy another Wally World bike I think you will still get a crappy seat W/it

BTW, I'm down to 245# now & put almost 4000 miles on a $400 bike last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dept store bikes come in a size appropriate for the average joe - someone 5.8 to 6.0. They aren't big enough for you.

Look in your local craiglist for a used XL bike with a rigid fork. Unless you spend a bunch of money, suspension forks won't be worthwhile at your weight. Plus, a rigid fork is better for road riding.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    Dept store bikes come in a size appropriate for the average joe - someone 5.8 to 6.0. They aren't big enough for you.

Look in your local craiglist for a used XL bike with a rigid fork. Unless you spend a bunch of money, suspension forks won't be worthwhile at your weight. Plus, a rigid fork is better for road riding.

Suspension forks worked just fine for me & @ 306# I was bigger than he is.

In fact, I started out on a FS MTB W/an air shock & that worked just fine too.

Never had to service it & it still holds air just fine.

Still New
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCamden
    ....... So I bought a bike from Walmart.

Uh oh. Here we go! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    Suspension forks worked just fine for me & @ 306# I was bigger than he is.

In fact, I started out on a FS MTB W/an air shock & that worked just fine too.

Never had to service it & it still holds air just fine.
    Walmart bikes don't come with air shocks. Neither do bike store bikes unless he spends some money. Notice the condition in the statement: "Unless you spend a bunch of money".

The more important point is that a rigid fork is better for road riding.

XCSKIBUM, Congrats on your weight loss. I struggle with weight, myself.

When people quote in a post, they are usually posting about the quote. Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I made the suggestion for a rigid fork and a larger size bike because that is what I would want. It's just my opinion, and others may prefer a different type of bike. It's all good.
    Last edited by rlouder; 04-22-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Walmart bikes don't come with air shocks. Neither do bike store bikes unless he spends some money. Notice the condition in the statement: "Unless you spend a bunch of money".

The more important point is that a rigid fork is better for road riding.

Go back, re-read my post & please show me where I said Wally World bikes came W/air shocks.

As far as ridgid forks & "road riding"? Pardon my mistake as I thought that this was a MTB forum.
    Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 04-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'3" and my xl 29er is the first XC mtb that feels like it fit me properly. IMO, find a saddle with cro-mo rails for your current ride and save your $ for a bike from a bike shop, not a dept store. You will be amazed at the difference in quality. Shop around, search reviews and ask LOTS of questions, then take demo rides on what you like. Welcome, and good luck.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

R.I.P. DogFriend

Which leads me to believe that he may have the saddle slid all the way back in the seatpost clamp. That will allow much lighter riders than the OP to bend saddle rails. The terms, "cantilever" and "cheater bar" come to mind.

Some pics from the OP of his bike from a side view could confirm this.

At 6'4", a WalMart bike is not going to fit well at all. You may be able to make it suffice, but there will be compromises.

A used craigslist bike in your size would likely be a more satisfying ride with fewer compromises.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Okay I just woke up, sorry for the late response.
    I'll try to get everything into this one post.

The seat itself isn't bending, I don't think. There's two little metal bars under the seat and one looks like it rotated so instead of both sides being propped up, it's kinda leaning.

I know Walmart bikes are supposed to suck, but walking 4 miles to work after busting my ass didn't seem like a very good idea. I needed something. I'll look on Craigslist today. I haven't had a day off since being hired so I finally have some time today. What do I look for on Craigslist? Just XL in the title? My price range is around 200 so I'm not expecting to race with the bike or anything, just get to and from work.

This is the Craigslist section for bikes in my area.
    http://charleston.craigslist.org/bik/

If someone gets bored and wants to look through it, that'd be appreciated.
    I'm gonna look too of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    $200 max? IMHO, that's going to be a little tough even used on CL . . .

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    If $200 is your max, check Nashbar, Performance Cycle and Pricepoint websites. For a commuter, have you thought about a single speed. The link below is a great ss for $200.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202339
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Afric Pepperbird
    Ask around in the Clydesdales forum. Some guys may have some nice bikes they'd be willing to part with for cheap. Nicer than Walmart, anyways.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff
    If $200 is your max, check Nashbar, Performance Cycle and Pricepoint websites. For a commuter, have you thought about a single speed. The link below is a great ss for $200.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202339
    says it's out of stock for awhile, but a nice looking commuter bike I wouldn't worry too much about locking up

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    says it's out of stock for awhile, but a nice looking commuter bike I wouldn't worry too much about locking up
    Oops, I didn't catch that. The discount/closeout sites almost always have new bikes in the $200-$300 range. A single speed may be the ticket though, great commuters. And you will be getting in shape for when you have more $ for a decent mtb.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCamden
    The seat itself isn't bending, I don't think. There's two little metal bars under the seat and one looks like it rotated so instead of both sides being propped up, it's kinda leaning.
    Those "metal bars" are called "saddle rails" and it sounds like yours are bent.

Now, if you'll re-read my earlier post, you'll see what I mean.

I have been as heavy as 300lbs and riding for 15 years, and have never bent one.

Bent saddle rails occur most often as a result of the saddle being mounted with the clamp mounted toward the front of the saddle and/or improper riding technique.

Cheers.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Jeeze. The OP is riding the bike 3 or 4 miles to work. As long as it goes and stops, it's enough for that.

OP, it's fine. Go to your local bike shop and ask about a new saddle. They frequently have a bin full of perfectly good saddles that come off new bikes when customers buy them and immediately replace the stock saddle with their favorite, or something flashier. Probably the saddle rails on the Wal-mart bike are made out of some kind of really mild steel; anything from a bike shop will have something with a much higher yield strength.

Start socking away some money, and when you're used to your new job and you want to start riding more, buy a new bike. It'll give you time to have a little more to work with, and get accustomed to being on a bike. When you spend an amount that's significant for you, you don't want to screw it up - fit of a bike is very important, and it's really hard to evaluate that if you're still just getting used to being on them. If your budget's still pretty low, buy used. Try to buy from a shop dealing in used, so you can test-ride a bunch and have something that's in good mechanical shape to begin with.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    +1 for Andrwswitch's responce

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Op is 6'4" 295, that's alot for a used bike with no warranty.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Dude, a walmart bike would be terrible for commuting. they're really heavy i suggest you go to an LBS, and just to lift up a 400+ bike you'll be surprised how light they are.