1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bike frame too small?

Hey guys! I just recently started to get into regular riding. Ive had my bike for well over a year. Its a Trek 4500, I bought it to test out a few trails and ride around campus (I go to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC)

Anyways, I was told of a nice park here in my home town that has some decent trails, so Ive been going out every couple of days and trying to ride a few. Today I ended up on a trail well above my skill level, and had to walk most of the way. I moved out of the way for a guy coming up on the trail and he stopped and talked to me for a while.

Turns out he's been a bike mechanic for many years, and gave me lots of tips. I guess my seat was WAY to low, which was one of my main problems...once I upped it I was going good!

He told me my bike frame was probably a bit too small for me (and I agree now that I have my seat at the right location.) Is there any way to get around this without buying a totally new bike? He mentioned something about handle bar risers? I have no idea what these are...any tips? I cannot afford to buy a new bike at this time. He let me ride his around to see the difference. He had some sort of full suspension Giant bike, it was pretty awesome. Anyways, what do you guys recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew.

mtbr member
    what size is your bike? how tall are you? if the bike doesnt feel too small to you then i wouldnt worry too much, a smaller bike can be easier to ride/maneuver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think the guy said it was like a 16" or something?

I am 5'11"

It kinda feels with the seat in the right location that Im about to go over the handle bars..