Thread: Bike Fit HELP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Bike Fit HELP!

I'm 5' 11" but only a 31.5" inseam (Thats my boys sitting on the bar)

Seems that for my height it wants a 20" Large in a diamond back Trace.

But My boys sit on the top bar. Should I go down to a Medium 18" which will give me 1.5" of clearance of the top bar?

I guess I'm tall but short legs

Hybrid bike, front shock, just riding around on pavement and gravel, some light mountain bike trail

RAKC
    Buy based on what's comfortable. Honestly boys touching the top tube means little to many, padded shorts tucks them up outta the way. If im just in regular shorts mine just barely touch. In riding shorts no where near.

Being what ur looking at doing, id say ride both sizes see which one feels more comfortable to ride, dont worry if their a little close to the too tube.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

T.W.O.
    Yes 5'11" fits most medium well large is ok too if you have long legs. You'd want some toptube clearance but as long as you have some clearance you should be fine. You don't need 3"-4" clearance well if you can find one may be. The more important aspect is the reach, that's would dictate how you are positioned on the bike and how much room you have in the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't know what that means. Just saying it doesn't hurt but isn't comfortable to stand with both feet flat and the bike between my legs. Its snug. So yes I can deal with it because I'll be riding the bike, but asking if its a no brainer to return the bike and get a medium which i can do. I would say i have .25 of a inch before it would hurt. so if the ground under me was uneven, then i couldn't stand over my bike flat footed. Reach is .5 of a inch difference.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am just shy of 6' and I have a shorter inseam than you, and I ride a 19" large in most bikes. I had a 17" medium, and it was a bit cramped. Don't worry about your junk. Chances of you coming off the saddle and resting on the bar perfectly are not that great.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Bike Fit HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by ccumato View Post
    I don't know what that means. Just saying it doesn't hurt but isn't comfortable to stand with both feet flat and the bike between my legs. Its snug. So yes I can deal with it because I'll be riding the bike, but asking if its a no brainer to return the bike and get a medium which i can do. I would say i have .25 of a inch before it would hurt. so if the ground under me was uneven, then i couldn't stand over my bike flat footed. Reach is .5 of a inch difference.
    It really depends on the rest. If you can get rid of that half inch and be fine, then moving to a smaller frame might be worth it. I would probably go that route.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ccumato View Post
    I'm 5' 11" but only a 31.5" inseam (Thats my boys sitting on the bar)
    I don't have much room down there on my road bike, On my MTB I have a couple inches. Both bikes were fitted by pros, and both are extremely comfortable for me. If you are only riding pavement and gravel I don't believe it will be a big deal. Have you ridden them both?

since 4/10/2009
    Just don't stand over the top tube with your feet flat on the ground. I NEVER stand that way over any bike. Put one foot on a pedal and see what happens. Lean the bike a little to the side and see what happens.

Pick what's most comfortable to ride.

From a fit standpoint, it's better if you have a long torso to buy the larger size because the length of the bike has the least amount of adjustment. A couple centimeters is really all you can change it at most. If you buy the wrong size, you'll be more likely to have pain in places you shouldn't while you're riding it.

MTB fit considerations are a little different than road bike and hybrid fit considerations. On a mountain bike, if I'm between sizes, I size down so I can maneuver the bike more easily. On the mtb, I spend a lot less time in the saddle when off-road. Riding on pavement I'm almost always in the saddle. This is the reason fit considerations are a little different for pavement vs. off road riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It is best to get some clearance as it will give you more confidence in your riding. My wife's XC bike has plenty of stand over height as she disliked her previous bike which had very little stand over height.